Professional bookseller's independent website

‎Roosevelt franklin delano‎

Main

Parent topics

‎History‎
Number of results : 14,935 (299 Page(s))

First page Previous page 1 ... 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 ... 234 244 254 264 274 284 294 ... 299 Next page Last page

‎Roosevelt Brooks MAPSY CMHC A. PS‎

‎Twenty-one Days-Plus: A Journey To Me‎

‎AuthorHouse 2011-01-26. Paperback. Good. AuthorHouse paperback‎

Bookseller reference : SONG1452035938 ISBN : 1452035938 9781452035932

Biblio.com

Ergodebooks
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[Books from Ergodebooks]

€17.63 Buy

‎Roosevelt Edith Kermit Theodore Roosevelt‎

‎Two 2 Autograph Letters Signed‎

‎Oyster Bay NY 1919. Pair of letters regarding the family's preferred portrait of the late president written within three days of each other. Autograph Letters Signed to Edward Bok. 2 and 3 pages about 7 x 4 1/2 inches; minimal wear and light toning. The 3-page letter is written on mourning stationary with black trim the 2-page letter on stationary letterhead 'Sagamore Hill'. These letters were written a mere three months after Teddy's death in February 1919. Content; Edward Bok the longtime editor of Ladies'' Home Journal was apparently planning an article on the late president and had written to Mrs. Roosevelt regarding the family''s favorite portrait. On 18 May she responded "the picture we like is the Lazlo portrait" but "it may not be entirely suited for your purpose. . . . Perhaps the Sergeant portrait in the White House would be better tho'' we do not care as much for it. The photograph which we all like is a head by Pirie MacDonald but perhaps you prefer a full-length picture." 3 days later she followed up: "If you write to Pirie MacDonald . . . he will send the one we prefer. . . . I am quite sure the Pirie MacDonald head will make a fine picture. It is a wonderful likeness." She refers to the well-known portrait which was used as a frontispiece to one of Roosevelt''s last books The Great Adventure published in 1919. She adds: "I do not know of any one of the family who is writing articles about Mr. Roosevelt. My sons are writing their war experiences which must be the foundation for the rumor of which you speak." Edith Kermit Roosevelt 1861 - 1948 was the second wife of President Theodore Roosevelt and served as the First Lady of the United States during his presidency from 1901 to 1909. Roosevelt was the first First Lady to employ a full-time salaried social secretary. Her tenure resulted in the creation of an official staff and her formal dinners and ceremonial processions served to elevate the position of First Lady. She and Teddy had five children and she of course helped raise Alice the orphaned daughter from Teddy's first marriage. One of her great contributions to the nation was bringing racial diversity exposure into the White House. "One cannot bring up boys to be eagles and then expect them to be sparrows." - Edith Roosevelt. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 1709

Biblio.com

Montgomery Rare Books & Manuscripts
[Books from Montgomery Rare Books & Manuscripts]

€613.42 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D.‎

‎Two Signed Documents on Navy Department Letterhead c.1918‎

‎1918. Very Good . Two filled-in/typed documents on Navy Department letterhead signed with full name by Franklin D. Roosevelt. Both letters are addressed to Frank T. Middleton U.S.N. stationed on the U.S.S. Bradford concerning his appointment as an ensign. Both letters have two hole punches along top edge lightly folded light age toning. Very Good. Both signed in full. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : C000022675

Biblio.com

Common Crow Books
[Books from Common Crow Books]

€634.57 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin Delano to Major General Philip B. Fleming‎

‎Two-page letter informing the General of the liquidation of the WPA mimeographed‎

‎Washington DC: The White House 1942. letter. two 8.5x11 inch sheets with a typed letter mimeographed from the President to the Major General of the WPA unsigned dated December 4 1942. stapled upper left corner with a fold crease center horizontally minor wear and ink stain in bottom left corner of top sheet. The White House unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 181131

Biblio.com

Bolerium Books Inc., ABAA/ILAB
[Books from Bolerium Books Inc., ABAA/ILAB]

€105.76 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT THEODORE‎

‎Typed Letter Signed TLS‎

‎White House Washington DC: np 1909. First edition. Fine. ROOSEVELT ON LINCOLN: IMPASSIONED LETTER BY THEODORE ROOSEVELT DEFINING THE QUALITIES HE ADMIRES IN A POLITICIAN USING HIS HERO ABRAHAM LINCOLN AS AN EXAMPLE. Written on White House stationery and dated January 14 1909 near the end of Roosevelt's second term as president the letter reads in full: My dear Mr. Landis: Yours is just about as nice a letter as I have received -�and I have received very many. Indeed I wish you were in Congress. I feel just as you do about the division of powers and the like. I do not care a rap whether a man is a President a Senator or a Congressman as such. What I care for is that he shall be a thoroly straight decent and fearless representative of the people. This country was with Lincoln when as a private citizen he fought as hard as he knew how two Presidents in succession; and this country was with Lincoln when for four years as President he fought the representatives of these same ex-Presidents when they were in opposition. The people were not with him because he was President in one case or because he was against the President in the other. They were with him because he was right both times. Sincerely yours signed Theodore Roosevelt --------- Roosevelt's hero was Abraham Lincoln and in many senses he used Lincoln as a guide to his presidency appreciating what he called his great "righteousness" see for example Roosevelt's speech to the NYC Republican Club February 13 1905. In this letter he explicitly praises Lincoln's dedication to causes he believed were right regardless of his political affiliation or status a trait Roosevelt tried hard to emulate himself. The recipient Frederick Landis was a Republican U.S. Representative from Indiana from 1903-1907. In 1912 Landis became an important figure in Roosevelt's Progressive Party - becoming chairman of its first State Convention in Indiana and serving as a delegate to the National Progressive Convention. Washington D.C. 1909. One 8.5x14 inch sheet folded to create four pages Roosevelt letter on two pages; two pages blank. Usual folds a touch of soiling generally fine condition with strong full Roosevelt signature. A RARE LETTER STRONGLY UNITING TWO OF THE COUNTRY'S MOST IMPORTANT AND INFLUENTIAL LEADERS. np unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 2342

Biblio.com

The Manhattan Rare Book Company
[Books from The Manhattan Rare Book Company]

€8,461.00 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor‎

‎TYPED LETTER SIGNED TLS‎

‎Washington DC 31 January 1934. Letter. Light creases from mailing. Near Fine. Fine letter on White House letterhead SIGNED by the First Lady. In full: "I really would not know what the duties and obligations of a liberal minister's wife are. If you have any specific question which you want to ask I will be glad to answer them but I could not write generally on the subject." With the envelope. <br/><br/> unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 019655

Biblio.com

Charles Agvent
[Books from Charles Agvent]

€264.41 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Franklin Delano‎

‎TYPED LETTER SIGNED TLS‎

‎Washington DC 6 February 1942. Letter. Horizontal crease light wrinkling. Near Fine with a bold dark signature. On The White House letterhead but dated from Hyde Park to White House Librarian Mary Eben this thoughtful letter was written less than two months after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. In full: "Dear Mary: I am up here where I have time to evaluate many things at their true worth and I just want you to know that I am thinking of your splendid work in behalf of the birthday fund. It represents a cause very near to my heart and that makes me so much the more appreciative of all you have done not only this year but in other years. For all this and for the loyal and efficient service you have given through the years I am more grateful than I can say. Always sincerely" and SIGNED "Franklin D. Roosevelt." <br/><br/> unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 019600

Biblio.com

Charles Agvent
[Books from Charles Agvent]

€1,057.62 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Theodore‎

‎Typed letter signed The Outlook dated 15 November 1910‎

‎1910. ROOSEVELT Theodore. Typed letter signed The Outlook dated 15 November 1910 to Albert H. Walker. 1p. Fine. After leaving the White House Roosevelt served on the editorial staff of The Outlook. Walker was a New York City attorney who corresponded with Roosevelt about the Sherman Act. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 76824

Biblio.com

George S. MacManus Company
[Books from George S. MacManus Company]

€380.74 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter signed in his capacity as Assistant Secretary of the Navy 1898.‎

‎Letter concerning a clerk named Bandeecha. Good with some bleeding ink. A good autographed letter.‎

Bookseller reference : 38

Biblio.com

De Wolfe and Wood
[Books from De Wolfe and Wood]

€592.27 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed "Theodore Roosevelt" to Dean Sage on the completion of his Winning the West‎

‎New York 1895. 1 p. typed on "President's Office Police Department City of New York" stationery with a few manuscript emendations and corrections. 4to 10 x 8 inches. Lower portion mounted onto rear pastedown of volume III of Roosevelt's Winning the West New York 1894 with volumes I 1889 & II 1889 included each with Dean Sage bookplate moderate wear to covers. 1 p. typed on "President's Office Police Department City of New York" stationery with a few manuscript emendations and corrections. 4to 10 x 8 inches. TR to Dean Sage tipped-in to Volume III. Roosevelt writes as President of the Board of Police Commissioners of New York to angling author Dean Sage: ". I am now striving with infinite pain and labor to finish the fourth volume. You can imagine how hard it is with all my other work. With the ending of this fourth volume I shall have to stop all attempts at historical writing until I go out of politics. You are right about there being no West for me this year either." The letter is included with the first three volumes in first edition of Winning the West. Dean Sage's contributions to angling literature are few in number but profoundly influential. His Ristigouche 1888 which draws upon his long experience fishing the river is one of the pinnacles of nineteenth century fishing book design and production. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 311142

Biblio.com

James Cummins Bookseller
[Books from James Cummins Bookseller]

€1,480.67 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT THEODORE‎

‎Typed Letter Signed TLS‎

‎New York: np 1913. First edition. nb. ROOSEVELT'S HISTORIC LETTER INVITING MAUD NATHAN TO LEAD THE SUFFRAGE COMMITTEE OF THE PROGRESSIVE PARTY. Women's suffrage was a key element of the Progressive Party's platform during Roosevelt's unsuccessful third-party presidential bid in 1912. In early 1913 despite his loss Roosevelt was not about to give up the fight and continued to aggressively campaign for Progressive causes and candidates throughout the country. In this letter from February 18 1913 Roosevelt re-affirms his commitment to women's suffrage by asking the influential reformer and suffragist Maud Nathan to head his "Suffrage Committee" for the Progressive party. Written on Roosevelt's "Outlook" stationery the letter reads in full: My dear Mrs. Nathan:&#8232;&#8232;The other night we had too much speaking at the Progressive dinner. We should have cut down by one-half the number of speakers and if possible have cut down the number of subjects touched upon. I had to refuse a request from Teddy Robinson to introduce another matter and it would have been quite impossible to introduce the question of those concerts.&#8232;&#8232; Now may I ask very warmly that you head the Suffrage Committee in the Progressive Service It is in my judgment essential that we have at the head of that committee a women who is known as much more than only an agitator for suffrage for women. She must be a convinced suffragist eager for the cause; but she must also be identified in the public mind with other movements-that is she must embody our principle that we are for suffrage because women are not merely entitled to it as a right but are entitled to it as a means of rendering more efficient service to the community as a whole. Now my dear Mrs. Nathan you embody this principle. I earnestly ask that you will accept the head of this committee. The chairmanship of this committee if accepted by you will make you one of four people who are directing the policy of the popular government department of the Progressive Party. I need hardly say to you that there are few if any positions of leadership in our party so important as this and I am tempted to say that there are none more important. &#8232;&#8232; Earnestly hoping you can accept even at the cost of considerable personal inconvenience I am &#8232;&#8232; Very sincerely yours&#8232; signedTheodore Roosevelt&#8232;&#8232;&#8232; Maud Nathan did indeed accept Roosevelt's offer and continued to be an aggressive champion for women's rights throughout her life. The timing of this letter - February 18 1913 - coincides with a critical moment in the movement for only a few weeks later - on March 3 1913 - thousands of suffragists marched down Pennsylvania Avenue to protest the inauguration of the new president Woodrow Wilson who was hostile to the idea of suffrage a march that would be instrumental for the future success of the movement. More on Maud Nathan: Maud Nathan "worked tirelessly for woman suffrage an issue that caused a rift in her relations with her family. Her brothers and sister opposed this reform while her cousin Benjamin Cardozo supported a constitutional amendment writing Nathan that his conscience would not allow him to vote against it. &#8232; "Frederick Nathan shared his wife's views on equal suffrage leading the Men's League for Equal Suffrage helping to organize the International Men's League at Stockholm and marching in the first suffrage parade. Newspaper accounts of conventions and demonstrations often mention his presence at his wife's side occasionally referring to him as Mr. Maud Nathan. Maud Nathan won the New York Herald Prize in 1913 for the best letter in favor of woman suffrage" Jewish Women's Archive. "Of all the American Jewish women who participated in the suffrage movement Maud Nathan was probably the best known at the turn of the century. She believed that Jewish women had a special civic responsibility that could best be demonstrated through social reform and political participation" Melissa R. Klapper Ballots Babies and Banners of Peace: American Jewish Women's Activism 1890-1940. Typed Letter Signed. Two 7.5x9.5 inch pages of Roosevelt's Outlook stationery. A few spots of soiling; usual folds; custom folder. With three handwritten emendations in Roosevelt's hand. An important letter during a critical time for the women's suffrage movement. np unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 2149

Biblio.com

€7,614.90 Buy

‎Roosevelt Eleanor‎

‎Typed Letter Signed with Secretarial Copy‎

‎The White House 1938. Unique inclusion of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt's Signed Note and a hand written transcription by her secretary. Includes mailing envelope posted Oct 2 1938 from New York. .6" x 9.25 on The White House stationary slight impression from paper clip at top left usual two mailing folds. Anna Eleanor Roosevelt Oct 11 1884 - Nov 7 1962 was the wife of President Franklin Roosevelt and served as First Lady from '33 to '45. She was a force of influence in her own right. She was the U.S. Delegate to the United Nations from '45 to '52. Benjamin Sumner Welles Oct 14 1892 - Sept 24 1961 was an American government official and diplomat in the Foreign Service. He was a major foreign policy adviser to President Franklin D. Roosevelt and served as Under Secretary of State from '36 to '43. It is characteristic of Lady Eleanor that she would impose on one of the president's most trusted advisors for a personal favor of a citizen. "Dear Miss Neville: I am enclosing a letter of introduction to Mr. Sumner Welles. I know however that he is extremely busy at this time and it may be that he cannot see you very soon. Very sincerely yours /S/ Eleanor Roosevelt. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 440

Biblio.com

€317.29 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎Fine condition with light horizontal fold. Theodore Roosevelt Typed Letter Signed. One page on Pullman Private Car stationery 5" x 7.8" Maryland; May 3 1912. A to J.C. Elliott of Jacksonville Illinois concerning his recent victories in the 1912 Republican presidential primaries: Former president Roosevelt wrote this letter to J.C. Elliott unidentified from his private Pullman car "Pilgrim" while on a two-day campaign swing through Maryland giving speeches in such places as Salisbury Havre de Grace and Baltimore. Although William Howard Taft was his handpicked successor to the presidency Roosevelt and his progressive allies had become disenchanted with Taft. Taft not only replaced many of Roosevelt's cabinet but also appeared to turn his back on the progressive agenda favored by the former president and his followers. Progressivism had risen in popularity in the state level and its adherents feared that Taft's policies were threatening its potential success at the national level. Roosevelt decided to join the race against Taft for the Republican nomination in 1912 entering the primary contests. As he noted in this letter offered here he was victorious in Pennsylvania Illinois Nebraska and Oregon. He ended up winning nine of the twelve primaries while Taft only won one. Yet when the Republicans held their national convention in Chicago from June 18 to June 22 Taft controlled the party machinery and received the nomination. Roosevelt was enraged and he and his supporters formed the Progressive Party popularly known as the "Bull Moose" party which chose the former president as its standard-bearer. The 1912 presidential election was won by Democratic candidate Woodrow Wilson with 42% of the popular and 435 electoral votes in a four-way race which included Roosevelt and Taft. Roosevelt's popularity carried his Progressive Party into a second place finish winning more votes than Taft and the Republicans. Condition: The letter is in fine condition with a light horizontal fold in the middle. "May 3rd 1912. My dear Mr. Elliott: I never write sentiments-not even as admirable a sentiment as that of Abraham Lincoln's-but I agree with you as to the good sense of the voters at the primaries in Pennsylvania Illinois Nebraska and Oregon. Theodore Roosevelt. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 821

Biblio.com

€1,142.23 Buy

‎Roosevelt Eleanor‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎New York 1947. Fine with mailing fold across the center. TLS "Eleanor Roosevelt" in blue fountain pen. 6" x 7" on her home address letterhead Apartment 15-A / 29 Washington Square West / New York 11 N .Y. but mailed from Poughkeepsie where she kept her country home. Includes free frank envelope addressed to Mrs. Walter E. Taylor / Monson Maine. In her ever charming way one of the most popular First Ladies ever always kept polite communication with her constituents. "My dear Mrs. Taylor: I appreciate very much your sending me the poem which your sister wrote in memory of my husband. It was thoughtful of you. With many thanks Very sincerely yours /s/ Eleanor Roosevelt unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 439

Biblio.com

€190.37 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT THEODORE‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎New York: np 1913. First edition. no binding. Very Good. PASSIONATE AND IMPORTANT LETTER BY THEODORE ROOSEVELT DEFINING THE NATURE OF THE PROGRESSIVE PARTY. The letter signed and typed by Roosevelt on letterhead of The Outlook magazine where Roosevelt was a contributor and associate editor and dated February 14 1913 is addressed to Progressive Party Committeeman Henry Wallace and reads in full: The Outlook 287 Fourth Avenue New York February 14 1913 My dear Mr. Wallace I have written a letter to Mr Watkins which I hope he will show you. Michigan is to elect a number of State officer and various county city and township officers this Spring. I hope we shall have a straight Progressive ticket put up in the State and in every city and township. I see in the press that the regulars of the Republican Party are endeavoring to absorb our representatives. Now the Progressive Party stands for principals not men. We have in our ranks very many ex-Democrats just as we have very many ex-Republicans. Our loyalty is due to both. &#8232;The present Republican Party is under the absolute control of the men who stole from the rank and file of the Republican Party last June their right to their own choice for President when Mr Taft was fraudulently nominated; and he and his supporters Messrs Barnes Penrose Guggenheim Lorimer and company have no claim to the support of any honest man. The men who follow and support these men can have nothing in common with our plans and ideas of government. &#8232;&#8232; The Progressive Party was formed on principles which we believe to be eternal which will live long after the men of this generation have been gathered to their fathers. We are the spiritual heirs of Abraham Lincoln. The feat accomplished last election was an extraordinary feat. It is necessary to continue with the organization and to make a clearcut fight against both the old party machines. I earnest hope that you will make as hard a fight in Michigan as you know how for a straight-out Progressive ticket. Incidentally let me say that the unjustifiable action of the returning officer of Michigan in stealing away from the legally elected candidate in the Twelfth District his office should be used for all that it is worth. This action of itself shows that the Republican leaders in Michigan are not to be trusted in any shape or way and that their protestations of good conduct are worse than worthless. &#8232;&#8232;Wherever the Republican Party has had the opportunity since election as in Maine and Massachusetts it has put in office reactionaries men of the old machine men committed to the system of bossism in politics and privilege in business. In Michigan in the Twelfth Congressional District these men showed that they are still committed to the principal corrected by hand to "practice" of utter political dishonesty and to the breaking down of the power of the people in favor of the bosses. We are fighting for great principles and we are also fighting for honest citizenship against dishonesty in citizenship. We have a right to hope that Michigan will come to the front on this issue. I would rather that you did not make this letter public but if you desire that any letter shall be made public if you will write to me I will answer it along substantially the lines of this letter. Faithfully yours signed Theodore Roosevelt Background: The date is February 14 1913. The past year - the election year of 1912 - had been quite eventful for Theodore Roosevelt and for the nation. Tensions were high within the Republican Party after President William Howard Taft presidential successor to Roosevelt and fellow Republican failed to carry out the anti-trust crusade that Roosevelt had begun in his own presidential term. Infighting and hostility during the 1912 Republican National Convention in Michigan led to a major schism in the Republican party; namely the creation of the "Progressive" or "Bull Moose" Party led by Theodore Roosevelt the Party's presidential candidate. Although Roosevelt lost to the Democrat Woodrow Wilson he received more votes than the Republican Taft becoming the only third-party candidate in U.S. history to finish higher than third in a presidential election; it was because of the splitting the Republican votes between Taft and Roosevelt that Democrat Woodrow Wilson was able to seize the victory. During this tumultuous political moment Roosevelt reveals in this letter to Progressive Party Committeeman Henry Wallace what he views to be the essence of the Party and outlines a plan for the future. Defining the Progressive Party: Roosevelt emphasizes that the Progressive Party stands for "principles not men" noting specifically that "The Progressive Party was formed on principles which we believe to be eternal which will live long after the men of this generation have been gathered to their fathers. We are the spiritual heirs of Abraham Lincoln." This a critical point for Roosevelt as he tries to elevate the Party beyond the personalities of the moment. It also allows him to underscore the corrupt nature of the Republican Party which as opposed to the Progressives according to Roosevelt has become a reflection of the self-interest of a handful of powerful men. Roosevelt then names some of these men to further illustrate their influence and to reinforce one of his major themes: that it is essential for the Progressives to work hard to restore power to the citizens. On the failures of the Michigan convention and his plan for the future of the Party: "Michigan is to elect a number of State officer and various county city and township officers this Spring. I hope we shall have a straight Progressive ticket put up in the State and in every city and township. I see in the press that the regulars of the Republican Party are endeavoring to absorb our representatives." One of the central tenants of the Progressive platform was a restructuring of American politics through the growth and development of localized parties to best foster direct links between government officials and public opinion. It was because of this focus on local governments that Progressives set their sights on securing seats within state county city and other municipal legislatures. After Roosevelt's loss in the 1912 national election Progressive success in smaller races became all the more important to the future of the Party. On the legacy of the Progressive Party: "We are fighting for great principles and we are also fighting for honest citizenship against dishonesty in citizenship." &#8232;Many have suggested that the rise of the Progressive party seemed a logical next step after the Gilded Age a period of American history in which laborers suffered at the hands of an elite and wealthy few. The Progressive Party Platform of 1912 of which Roosevelt was one of its many co-authors asserted that "In accordance with the needs of each generation the people must use their sovereign powers to establish and maintain equal opportunity and industrial justice to secure which this Government was founded and without which no republic can endure." &#8232;&#8232;While Roosevelt himself was unable to reach federal office under the Progressive Party name the reforms promoted by himself and his colleagues had lasting impacts on American society culture and economy. Franklin Roosevelt's "New Deal" drew heavily on the Progressive Party's platform and many of the goals of the Progressive party--anti-trust regulation labor reform health care reforms and crackdowns on political corruption--were all ideas that developed well beyond Roosevelt's era influencing even the politics of today.&#8232;&#8232; New York: February 14 1913. �Written on three sheets of Roosevelt's letterhead "Office of Theodore Roosevelt" from the weekly magazine The Outlook which Roosevelt edited beginning in 1911. Housed in a custom presentation folder. Bearing one holographic correction changing "principle" to "practice". Almost invisible repairs to extreme margins of third leaf not near text. With a large strong Roosevelt signature. &#8232;&#8232;A HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT LETTER CONCERNING ONE OF THE UNITED STATES' MOST INFLUENTIAL POLITICAL MOVEMENTS.&#8232;. np unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 2110

Biblio.com

€9,307.10 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore Jr.‎

‎Typed Letter Signed "Theodore Roosevelt" to Seymour Halpern‎

‎New York 1929. 1p. on personal "Oyster Bay" letterhead. 8vo. Old folds toning minor chipping at the bottom of the page not affecting text else fine. 1p. on personal "Oyster Bay" letterhead. 8vo. The Most Perilous Time in My Life. Reading in part: "I don't know what the most perilous time in my life was but I suppose it must have been various times during the war. The hunting trip that was the biggest success was the one we have just finished because on that we got the giant panda which has never been shot by a white man before. Neither Kermit nor I really enjoy fully exploring or hunting unless we are together. On this last expedition he had to leave two months before the end and I missed him greatly." The eldest son of President Theodore Roosevelt and First Lady Edith Roosevelt Theodore "Ted" Roosevelt III known as Theodore Jr. grew up listening to his father's stories of wars and great battles and the expectations that every man should do his part. After graduating from Harvard Roosevelt launched a successful career in investment banking. At the outbreak of WWI he volunteered to be one of the first American soldiers to go to France serving as a battalion commander with the First Division where he was gassed and wounded at Soissons in 1918. After the war he served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy Governor of Puerto Rico and Governor-General of the Philippines. In the 1930s he reentered the business world becoming Chairman of the Board of American Express and Vice President of Doubleday Books. Despite arthritis brought on from injuries of the previous war and a serious heart condition that Roosevelt hid from his superiors he returned to active military duty in WWII and was promoted to the rank of brigadier general. A cane in one hand a pistol in the other Roosevelt led his troops into action in North Africa Tunisia and the invasion of Sicily where he was cited for "showing complete contempt for personal danger." His insistence on leading his men from the front culminated in June 1944 when he led the first wave of troops ashore at Utah Beach on D-Day during the invasion of Normandy. After being one of the first men on the beach Roosevelt discovered that they had landed south of their objective. He personally reconnoitered the area and returned with a revised plan of attack famously declaring that "We'll start the war from right here." Roosevelt adroitly directed troops to their new objectives remaining cool under intense fire and inspiring confidence in his men. When asked to name the single most heroic action he had ever seen in combat General Omar Bradley replied that it was "Ted Roosevelt on Utah Beach." Roosevelt died of a heart attack in France a month after the Normandy landings. He received the Medal of Honor which was awarded posthumously for his actions on D-day. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 309502

Biblio.com

James Cummins Bookseller

€549.96 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT ELEANOR‎

‎TYPED LETTER SIGNED‎

‎Washington D.C. 1943. n/a. Very Good. MAGNIFICENT WARTIME LETTER BY ELEANOR ROOSEVELT ON ACHIEVING LONG-LASTING PEACE. This letter signed and typed by world-renowned social reformer Eleanor Roosevelt on White House letterhead and dated June 28 1943 World War II is addressed to Mr. Jerome Darrow soldier and army newspaper editor and reads in full: The White House Washington June 28 1943. Dear Mr. Darrow: I am very glad to send you a message for Talkie-Talkie your weekly Army newspaper. I understand only too well how hard it must be for our soldiers who stand guard in the jungle and outposts which we are now occupying. I want to say to them that on every hand I hear how wonderfully the men are accepting the strange new conditions under which they live and how cheerfully they live through discomfort and boredom. I only hope that beneath it all they realize they are part of the great fighting force which can only win because each unit has done its part. I lived through the last war and its aftermath and therefore I am very much concerned about the future which we build as a result of this war. I hope that we have learned that peace is not something which comes because we sign a piece of paper. It is something which has to be built year by year and the piece of paper is only the foundation. It is the justice and the change for a better future for the whole world which will make our peace foundation stronger and our change to bring a continuance of peace in the future better. To do this for the world we must do it at home also and I hope that the boys in the jungle are thinking and talking of the things they wish to see done to bring about future employment a high national income and a healthier and happier people in the future. Good luck to all of you and may you all come back and work for peace and feel that you are building something constructive when this victory is won. Very sincerely yours signed Eleanor Roosevelt The date is June 28 1943. Finally the tide of the war was starting to turn and Americans could see an end to this very bloody and very prolonged conflict. "The Battle of Midway June 3-6 1942 which was fought almost entirely with aircraft was a World War II naval battle in which the United States destroyed Japan's first-line carrier strength and most of its best trained naval pilots. Together with the Battle of Guadalcanal August 1942-November 1943 the Battle of Midway ended the threat of further Japanese invasion in the Pacific" Encylopedia Britannica . Yet as so meaningfully articulated by Eleanor Roosevelt in this letter the work--to better the post-war lives of Americans and to achieve a long-lasting and effective peace--would continue long after the fighting was over. On boosting soldier's morale and the return to normalcy "I only hope that beneath it all they realize they are part of the great fighting force which can only win because each unit has done its part . I hope that the boys in the jungle are thinking and talking of the things they wish to see done to bring about future employment a high national income and a healthier and happier people in the future." Perhaps one of Roosevelt's most enduring legacies of her wartime work was her commitment to improving the lives of soldiers both during and after World War II. General Halsey a high-ranking officer at Guadalcanal was awed by Roosevelt's character and compassion upon her visit to his base and hospitals: "When I say that she inspected those hospitals I don't mean that she shook hands with the chief medical officer glanced into a sun room and left. I mean that she went into every ward stopped at every bed and spoke to every patient: What was his name How did he feel Was there anything he needed Could she take a message home for him I marveled at her hardihood both physical and mental she walked for miles and she saw patients who were grievously and gruesomely wounded. But I marveled most at their expressions as she leaned over them. It was a sight I will never forget." True to her words the First Lady's efforts were not merely excluded to wartime work. Postwar Roosevelt continued to press for worker's rights helping to ban racial discrimination in many industries a crusade which culminated in the establishment of the Fair Employment Practices Commision. She was also instrumental in helping FDR to draft the G.I. Bill of Rights a piece of legislation which helped to secure many educational and vocational opportunities for WWII veterans. On postwar peace "I hope that we have learned that peace is not something which comes because we sign a piece of paper. It is something which has to be built year by year and the piece of paper is only the foundation. It is the justice and the change for a better future for the whole world which will make our peace foundation stronger and our change to bring a continuance of peace in the future better." Just as Roosevelt's work with soldiers extended well-beyond the end of World War II so did her humanitarian work. Even after her position as First Lady ended and official peace negotiation had long concluded Roosevelt continued to push for peace with the help of the United Nations. The sense of unfulfillment or more specifically of an unfulfilled peace is as clearly discernable in her writing after WWII as it is in the 1943 letter to Mr. Darrow. In the November 13 1946 edition of her daily syndicated newspaper column My Day she explains that "in the United Nations we have set up the machinery for creating a climate in the world in which peace can grow. However just as I have sensed for many years that Armistice Day did not have the meaning for the mass of our people that it should have if we were going to preserve peace so I feel now that this is not yet a day on which we dedicate ourselves to living and working along the lines which will make peace possible throughout the world." After FDR's death she remained at the nucleus of American and global politics for two more decades. "In 1946 President Harry S. Truman appointed her as a delegate to the United Nations the institution that she believed to be her late husband's most significant legacy to the world. She served as chair of the United Nations Human Rights Commission and with her unique blend of grandmotherly tact and political realism helped hammer out the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights enacted by the General Assembly in 1948. She was now routinely hailed as "the First Lady of the World" American National Biography. In fact Roosevelt did write a piece for Jerome Darrow's one-man newspaper "Talkie-Talkie". An excerpt from Darrow's hometown newspaper reports that "the editor Jerome Darrow has perked things up by getting famous people to write their innermost thoughts straight to his G. I.'s. Groucho Marx Eleanor Roosevelt Charlie McCarthy Wendell Willkie Grantland Bice and Betty Grable have already taken advantage of this splendid opportunity" Ironwood Daily Globe. This document is noteworthy for its wartime date as well as its provocative content. A truly rare letter that so stirringly sums up Roosevelt's seemingly simple but actually complicated wish: peace. Washington D.C.: June 28 1943. Quarto one page on White House stationery. Signed in ink at the end of the letter. Usual folds light toning and a paperclip impression to the top edge otherwise in fine condition. An important piece of correspondence by the "First Lady of the World.". unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 1964

Biblio.com

€8,037.95 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed "Theodore Roosevelt" as President to Lawrence F. Abbott of The Outlook‎

‎Washington D.C. 1903. One page on White House letterhead marked "Personal". 4to. Bifolium. Fine. One page on White House letterhead marked "Personal". 4to. President Roosevelt writes to his close friend and editor of "The Outlook" Lawrence Fraser Abbott 1859-1933. In full: "My dear Mr. Abbott: Mea culpa! I had totally forgotten about Tyner. Of course your reference was absolutely right. Sincerely yours Theodore Roosevelt." The letter is a response to Abbott's of December 12 in which he clarifies a reference made concerning ex-Postmaster General James N. Tyner in an "Outlook" article about a Post Office fraud case. Abbott served as Roosevelt's secretary during his 1909-10 tour of Europe and Africa edited the volume of Roosevelt's addresses that came of the trip wrote the entry on Roosevelt for the Encyclopedia Britannica 1911 as well as a volume of Impressions of Theodore Roosevelt 1919. After leaving office Roosevelt himself became a contributing editor to "The Outlook unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 308809

Biblio.com

James Cummins Bookseller

€846.10 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D.‎

‎TYPED LETTER SIGNED BY FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT TO THE FEDERAL EMERGENCY ADMINISTRATOR OF PUBLIC WORKS REGARDING PERSONNEL‎

‎Washington 1938. 1p. Folio. Old folds. Minor soiling. Near fine. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt writes to Harold L. Ickes Administrator of Public Works regarding a transfer of four employees to that agency with their former and future positions and salaries listed. The four men in question transferred from various departments and agencies were all to become Engineer Inspectors for the Public Works Administration. The Public Works Administration was a New Deal agency created in 1933 in an attempt to stimulate the economy with the construction of large-scale public infrastructure projects such as dams and bridges. It was closed in 1939 with the advent of World War II. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : WRCAM43525

Biblio.com

William Reese Company - Americana
[Books from William Reese Company - Americana]

€1,057.62 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT THEODORE‎

‎Typed Letter Signed as President with holograph correction on White House stationery 1 page 4to folded sheet Washington D. C. October 14 1905‎

‎President Roosevelt writes to Judge George C. Holt 1843-1931 nominated by Roosevelt and confirmed as US District Judge in New York to discuss the politics of a district attorney-ship. The President also makes reference to William Howard Taft 1857-1930 27th US President and 10th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court who served at the time as Secretary of War; Elihu Root 1845-1937 who served as Secretary of State at the time of our letter; William Henry Moody 1853-1917 Attorney General when Roosevelt wrote this letter then Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in December 1906. Roosevelt writes "Whitney has written Secretary Taft a strong protest against Morris. If you are willing as this district attorney-ship is a very important matter I shall ask you and Judge Townsend to come on here early in November.when I can have Secretary Root and Attorney General Moody here." Roosevelt crosses out "here" and hand writes "to meet you" above. He wants to find out what Root and Moody think." Signed in a strong hand "Theodore Roosevelt." The reference to Judge Townsend is likely to William Kneeland Townsend whom Roosevelt promoted in 1902 to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Horizontal fold. Attractively framed using archival mat and glass with profile photograph framed with original cabinet size photograph as president identified on verso. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 4159

Biblio.com

Schulson Autographs
[Books from Schulson Autographs]

€1,353.76 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT FRANKLIN DELANO‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎New York: np 1921. POIGNANT SIGNED LETTER FROM ROOSEVELT ON HIS RESOLVE NOT TO LET POLIO DEFEAT HIM. Very Good. POIGNANT SIGNED LETTER FROM ROOSEVELT ON HIS RESOLVE NOT TO LET POLIO DEFEAT HIM. Written just two months after being struck by polio at his summer home at Campbello Island Roosevelt writes on October 5 1921 to Henry Waring Chadeayne Orange County lawyer and politician: My dear Mr. Chadeayne: I appreciate very much the action of the Democratic County Committee of Orange County in directing you to convey their sympathy to me. I also appreciate exceedingly the personal good wishes which you added on your own account. The doctors tell me I am getting along splendidly and I hope to be back in the game before so very long. Very sincerely yours signed Franklin D. Roosevelt By October 5 1921 the outlook for Roosevelt looked bleak. He was already suffering from paralysis with little hope for improvement yet from the beginning Roosevelt fought with extraordinary resolve to overcome any limitations caused by his disease. And get "back in the game" he did becoming governor of New York in 1929 and of course U.S. President from 1933 to 1945. Though written on Roosevelt's Fidelity and Deposit Company of Maryland's personal letterhead it is almost certain that the letter was typed either at Presbyterian Hospital or else dictated by him and brought to him for signing for on October 5 1921 Roosevelt was still in the hospital he was released on October 28th. Note: This is one of the earliest Roosevelt letters referencing his disease that has ever been on the market. New York: October 5 1921. Quarto one page. Expected folds. Fine condition with original envelope postmarked October 6 1921. An inspiring letter from one of the United States's greatest figures. np unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 1605

Biblio.com

€7,191.85 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT James.‎

‎Typed letter signed "Jimmy Roosevelt".‎

‎Washington D.C. November 17 1941. Creased where folded; otherwise fine. 11 x 8-1.2 inches. The addressee was a representative of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures; on Coordinator of Information letterhead. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 63655

Biblio.com

Jeffrey H. Marks Rare Books
[Books from Jeffrey H. Marks Rare Books]

€29.61 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor 1884 1962‎

‎Typed Letter Signed on "Executive Mansion" letterhead‎

‎Albany NY 1932. unbound. 1 page 7 x 6 inches Albany New York October 3 1932. Written when Franklin D. Roosevelt was Governor of New York in full: "My dear Mrs. Goodman: My husband has repeatedly declared that Muscle Shoals like all other water power must be owned by the people. Thank you for your good wishes. Very sincerely yours signed Eleanor Roosevelt "Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt." Several creases and two tiny orange stains; very good- condition. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 261231

Biblio.com

Argosy Book Store
[Books from Argosy Book Store]

€253.83 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D.‎

‎Typed Letter Boldly Signed With Initials‎

‎<p>"FDR" 1 page on mint green The White House letterhead Washington D.C. January 9 1939 1 page with integral leaf. 9" x 7". The paper watermarked "Whiting Woven Linen." To Frederick B. Adams. Very good.</p><p>Adams 1878-1961 was married to Ellen Walters Delano a first cousin of FDR.</p><p>Roosevelt thanks Adams for the gift of a fishing rod.</p> unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 2221730

Biblio.com

Houle Rare Books & Autographs
[Books from Houle Rare Books & Autographs]

€634.57 Buy

‎Roosevelt Eleanor‎

‎Typed letter signed "Eleanor" to Harry concerning her appointment as a delegate to the General Assembly of the United Nations‎

‎New York 1948. One page on stationery of Val-Kill Cottage Hyde Park Duchess Co. New York. 8vo. Fine in red morocco-backed custom folding box. One page on stationery of Val-Kill Cottage Hyde Park Duchess Co. New York. 8vo. This note is possibly addressed to Harry Hooker who was Roosevelt's longtime friend and attorney. Written only a few years after FDR's death 1945 the former first lady was still politically active as this letter illustrates: "I have just been officially notified that I am to be again appointed as a delegate to the General Assembly of the United Nations which meets in Paris. I shall have to sail on September 13th. In view of this could you and Nancy come up here in September 4th to stay over Labor Day I would like to have a birthday party for you and Elliott before I leave! stroke of exclamation point drawn in with pen. Affectionately signed Eleanor." Blanche Wiesen Cook Eleanor Roosevelt v. 1 1992 unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 247874

Biblio.com

James Cummins Bookseller

€1,057.62 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Franklin D. 1882 1945‎

‎Typed Letter Signed with exceptional content‎

‎Albany NY 1932. unbound. 1 page on "State of New York Executive Chamber" letterhead 10.5 x 8 inches Albany New York April 16 1932. Written to powerful New York attorney Frederic R. Coudert whose support was needed in Roosevelt's anticipated run for the Presidency of the United States just three months before the Democratic National Convention in part: ".At least I am grateful for one thing - that you do not class me as a mere politician.As for the League of Nations it is too long a subject for us to discuss on paper but perhaps it may interest you to know that half a dozen people who have been just as strongly for the League as you have after talking with me subscribed to the plan I have outlined to them. For instance Frank Sayre and his wife Jessie Woodrow Wilson spent the night at Hyde Park a week ago and after we talked for an hour completely changed their opinion about my stand. All that I can tell you in this note is that my objective and yours happen to be not merely similar but identical but if you maintain your method of attaining the objective you may get there in twenty years at the earliest or not at all; on the other hand I believe that my method for attaining the same objective will get us there in from five to ten years with far greater certainty. Think that over and for heaven's sake maintain your faith. Remember that it sometimes takes a great courage to hew out a new line. I quote your example: Cleveland T.R. and Wilson did just that." Coudert's support of the League of Nations came about due to the fact that his family law firm had represented the interests of British Government for close to a century and he wanted to be assured that a Roosevelt administration would maintain a strong alliance with England. However seven years later he became a strong isolationist aligning himself with his friend Charles Lindbergh and barely supported the Lend Lease. On the other hand F.D.R. coined the term "United Nations" and made contributions to the original drafted charter. Two horizontal folds and small creases at the corners but still in very good condition. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 256034

Biblio.com

Argosy Book Store
[Books from Argosy Book Store]

€1,269.15 Buy

‎Roosevelt Nicholas‎

‎Typed Letter Signed With A Holograph Addition‎

‎New York 1934. Manuscript. Very good. On New York Herald Tribune stationery. Approx. 8 1/2" x 11 . One page to a Mr. Virgil Y. Russell of Casper Wyoming sending his autograph but declining to send a picture. Nicely signed adding parenthetically "Former American Minister To Hungary". Nicholas was cousin and intimate friend and advisor to both Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt Nicholas had a long and interesting life and career. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 14128

Biblio.com

Austin's Antiquarian Books
[Books from Austin's Antiquarian Books]

€71.92 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore writing to Richard Washburn Child‎

‎Typed Letter Signed from Theodore Roosevelt to Richard Washburn Child 1881-1935 of the Progressive Republican League Minister to Italy‎

‎New York: Office of Theodore Roosevelt 1918. Original Letter . Single Sheet. Good. Single sheet on stationary of The Kansas City Star New York Office Office of Theodore Roosevelt. Dated July 11 1918 stating "That's fine! I hope you and Mrs. Child can come out to see me "see me" is then crossed out and Roosevelt has handwritten "lunch" above soon. Faithfully yours Theodore Roosevelt." Folds into six three hole punch along left margin four minor tape repairs at edges very minor edge chips and tears. Richard Washburn Child 1881-1935 founded the Progressive Republican League in Massachusetts which bvecame the forerunner of the Progressive Party which noominated Roosevelt for the Presidency again. Child wrote propoganda for the government in WWI later wrote for President Warren HArding lwas consequently made Minister to italy 1921-1924. He encouraged Mussolini to make his March on Rome wrote for Mussolini and edited his American autobiography and also wrote a number of other books; an interesting association. <br/> <br/> Office of Theodore Roosevelt unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 019322

Biblio.com

Arroyo Seco Books
[Books from Arroyo Seco Books]

€380.74 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor.‎

‎Typed letter signed; one paragraph on printed White House letterhead.‎

‎Washington February 25 1942. Horizontal creases where folded; very slightly tanned; otherwise very nice. 9-1/4 x 6 inches. A brief note of congratulations on the fifth anniversary of a dramatic group associated with the University of Pennsylvania and its production of "The Beggar on Horseback." unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 58203

Biblio.com

Jeffrey H. Marks Rare Books
[Books from Jeffrey H. Marks Rare Books]

€423.05 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D.‎

‎Typed Letter signed "Franklin D. Roosevelt" as President to Roger Scaife of Houghton Mifflin Company discussing a proposed book on the Hudson River and directing him to an author Miss Helen Reynolds of Poughkeepsie who has done good work on the Dutch houses of the Hudson‎

‎Washington D.C. The White House 1933. One page on White House stationery. With one correction. 1 vols. 4to. Minor abrasion to reverse else fine. One page on White House stationery. With one correction. 1 vols. 4to. FDR on Hudson River Houses. FDR is referring here to Helen Reynolds' "Dutch Houses in the Hudson Valley Before 1776" originally published in 1929. There does not seem to be any evidence showing that Scaife's proposal every came into fruition. "Many previous attempts have been made - none is satisfactory unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 245997

Biblio.com

James Cummins Bookseller

€634.57 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin Delano‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎Washington: np 1917. No Binding. Very Good. TYPED LETTER SIGNED BY FDR as Acting Secretary of the Navy on Navy Department stationery. An early Roosevelt letter dated June 5 1917 to Charles W. Stetson agreeing to the price offered in exchange for property held by Daniel Carroll for use by the Washington Navy Yard. Signed: "F. DRoosevelt". Washington: June 5 1917. One quarto page. Ink mark at top corner some smudges and light folds. np unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 739

Biblio.com

€1,311.45 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter signature excised to Andrew Carnegie as President of The National Arbitration and Peace Congress‎

‎Washington DC 1907. 6-1/2 pp. on White House stationery. 4to. Tan cloth chemise signature neatly cut from last leaf not affecting text else fine. 6-1/2 pp. on White House stationery. 4to. TR on War and Peace. An important letter from President Theodore Roosevelt summarizing his views on the goal of abolishing war to Andrew Carnegie who was then the President of the National Arbitration and Peace Congress and ultimately the creator in 1910 of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Roosevelt expresses his regret at not being able to be with Carnegie at the International Peace Conference at the Hague: ". I much regret my inability to be present with you . First and foremost I beseech you to remember that tho it is our bounden duty to work for peace yet it is even more our duty to work for righteousness and justice . Harm and not good would result if the most advanced nations those in which most freedom for the individual is combined with most efficiency in securing orderly justice as between individuals should by agreement disarm and place themselves at the mercy of other peoples less advanced of other peoples still in the stage of military barbarism or military despotism. Anything in the nature of general disarmament would do harm and not good if it left the civilized and peace-loving peoples those with the highest standards of municipal and international obligation and duty unable to shock the other peoples who have no such standards who acknowledge no such obligations . These warnings that I have uttered do not mean that I believe we can do nothing to advance the cause of international peace. On the contrary I believe that we can do much to advance it provided we act with sanity with self-restraint with power; which must be the prime qualities in the achievement of any reform. The nineteenth century saw on the whole a real and great advance in the standard of international conduct both as among civilized nations and by strong nations toward weaker and more backward peoples. The twentieth century will I believe witness a much greater advance in the same direction . More important than reducing the expense of the implements of war is the question of reducing the possible causes of war which can most effectually be done by substituting other methods than war for the settlement of disputes. Of those other methods the most important which is now attainable is arbitration ." A carefull lengthy and eloquent statement from this President who perhaps more than any others in the nation's history has been charcterized as an imperialist and a warmonger. Morison ed. The Letters of Theodore Roosevelt vol. V 638-42 unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 247177

Biblio.com

James Cummins Bookseller

€3,807.45 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎New York 1931. One page dated April 10 1931 as Governor of New York to Arthur Carpenter his business manager and caretaker at Warm Springs Ga. In part: "We telegraphed you the other day about the cook. Do whatever is best as long as we have a cook!.in what condition is the Ford I am all for a new one so if you can do anything to the old touring car don't mind me." Roosevelt bracketed the three lines of text regarding the car and then adds a handwritten postscript: "This was dictated by M.A.L. It is an unmitigated falsehood. I can't afford a new Ford if the old one still has four legs. However use your own judgment. A car is the real necessity." M.A.L. refers to his longtime secretary and mistress Maguerite MissyA. LeHand. A choice inside look at FDR. Near Fine. 4to. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884769

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books
[Books from Quaker Hill Books]

€1,565.28 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎Oyster Bay NY: 1916. To Judge John Allison of Nashville Tenn 1 page large 8vo. in response to his letter urging him to run for the Presidency. Mindful that his 1912 Presidential run under the Bull Moose standard had virtually handed Woodrow Wilson the election the former President had not actively sought the 1916 nomination despite such strong encouragement. Six days after this letter was written Roosevelt was indeed nominated for President by the newly constituted Progressive Party. On the very same day the Republican Party nominated Charles Evans Hughes. In this characteristically candid letter Roosevelt reflects philosophically about his chances: " My Dear Judge That's a mighty nice letter of yours! But whether the politicians will nominate me at Chicago is more than doubtful. I am making thsi fight on straight national lines. On Memorial Day I made a particular request that I speak at the invitation not only of the G.A.R. but also of the Confederate Veterans for I intend to go down or up just as fate may decide under the standard of Americanism." After much soul searching Roosevelt declined the nomination not so much in favor of Hughes but because his overwhelming goal in 1916 was the defeat of the hated Wilson whose failure to assert American rights he found deplorable. Very Fine. 8vo. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884695

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€3,553.62 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎Washington D.C. 1902. As President to Edward North Buxton on White House stationery tipped to the rear flyleaf of Buxton's book Two African Trips. Buxton was a noted British politician and an ardent conservationist which explains Roosevelt's admiration and friendship. T.R. writes: "I have been delighted with your book. You are one of the most potent among the teachers and pioneers in the movement which will make the lover of big game and of the wilderness an instrument against instead of in favor of the destruction of both. As I grow older I do not lose my taste for hunting and I think my fondness for the wilderness increases; but I certainly disbelieve more and moe in butchery. I have taken the liberty of sending you a copy of a volume to which I contributed in which you will see that I preach somewhat the same doctrine. " He adds a holographic invitation for Buxton to be his guest at the White House. This letter is a wonderful statement of Roosevelt's complimentary identities as sportsman and conservationist. Buxton's richly illustrated book arguses for the creation of game reserves where hunters can enjoy good sport while at the same time protecting species against extinction. This was precisely TR's philosophy so eloquently expressed in "American Big-Game Hunting." The book shows some rubbing soiling and wear along the spine ends; contents are clean and fresh; newspaper review of the book from The Spectator 1903 attached to verso of 1st free end paper. The letter shows some light creasing but is nevertheless bright and clean with a bold signature. Very Good. 4to. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884701

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€5,499.65 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D‎

‎Typed Letter Signed As President‎

‎Washington D.C. One page on White House stationery to Mrs. Thomas F. McAllister director of the Women's Division of the Democratic National Commttee offering Christmas greetings: "Heartiest greetings to the valiant women whose loyal support is such a tower of strength to the party." In fine condition. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884580

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€1,396.06 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed as President‎

‎Washington D.C. One page dated June 20 1905 on White House Stationery. An extremely interesting letter to Dr. Benjamin Wheeler President of the University of California and a long time personal friend - swearing him to secrecy about remarks he has apparently made about William Howard Taft to Senator Harriman. In fine condition. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884576

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€3,490.16 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎Washington D.C. 1941. One page dated December 23 1941 to Senator Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. on White House stationery regarding Lodge's request to make funds available to dredge Boston Harbor. Lodge a Republican and not an enthusiastic supporter of FDRs was under a great deal of political pressure at the time to make good on campaign promises for the improvement and construction of the state infrastructure especially in Boston. The President writes: "After reviewing the report of the Army Engineers on this project in June 1939 I advised the Secretary of War that I did not feel warranted in approving the project at that time. More recently I have stated that as a matter of general policy I felt that no public works projects for the improvement of rivers and harbors and for public buildings should be initiated unless they were definitely important to the national defense program. I am advised that neither the Army the Navy nor the Civil Aeronautics Authority consider this project as falling within that category.in view of the present needs of our defense program I feel that I must adhere to the policy. An important early World War II letter. Near Fine. 4to. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884687

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€6,345.75 Buy

‎Roosevelt Franklin D‎

‎TYPED LETTER SIGNED AS PRESIDENT‎

‎Washington D.C.Washington D.C.: 1939 Fine. 4to. To Mrs. Thomas F. McAllister 1 December 1939. One page on White House Stationery. An excellent wart time FDR letter sending Christmas greetings to Mrs. McAllister director of the Women's Division of the Democratic National Committee: " Heartiest greetings to the valiant women whose loyal support is such a tower of strength to the Party. I trust that the splendid achievements of the past and the consciousness of services so faithfully rendered will inspire all of our women - leaders and rank and file - to continue to bear witness to the faith that is theirs". FDR had disappointed McAllister earlier that year. He considered her vital in helping him get the political support he needed in order to take a more active part in the war raging in Europe. She was indeed very effective to that end. Later she urged him to consider selecting Judge Florence E. Allen to be the first woman member of the U.S. Supreme Court but the President chose William O'Douglas instead. Washington, D.C.Washington, D.C.: , 1939 unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884435

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€1,396.06 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed as President‎

‎Washington D.C. 1908. March 14 1908 on White House stationery to Dr. Joseph D. Bryant President of the American Medical Association. A very interesting letter inviting Bryant and the AMA to participate in a Forthcoming conference on the Conservation of Natural Resources an important issue for TR. In part: " Recently I invited the Governors of the States and Territories to meet in the White House on May 13-15 next in a conference on the Conservation of Natural Resources. In issuing the invitation I exprest the opinion that there is urgent need of taking stock of our resources and I added my belief that the conference ought to rank among the more important meetings in the history of the country." Together with the original typed draught of Bryant's post conference report to President Roosevelt. Some light soiling and adhesion mark remnants on blank verso. A remarkably bold signature on a great TR letter. 2pp. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 884411

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€4,839.69 Buy

‎Roosevelt Theodore‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎Washington D.C. 1897. TLS as Assistant Secretary of the Navy to author Arlo Bates on Navy Department stationery 1 1/2 pages 29 September 1897. T. R. pauses in his official duties to send a warm and enthusiastic letter of appreciation to a fellow author and reveals some of his strong prejudices about modern literature. In part: " Just a line to say how very much I have enjoyed your volume of essays just out referring to Batres's "Talks on the Study of Literature". "Cabot Lodge wrote me calling my attention to it and I owe him a debt of gratitude.It did me good to see the straightforward fashion in which you dealt with Maeterlinck Ibsen Verlaine Tolstoi and the decadents generally. I wish Howells could be persuaded to read and profit by what you have written! It seems to me however that both Meredith and Hardy in his latter books beginning with 'Tess' show distinct symptoms of the same disease although it takes very different form in the two cases." Later confessing his love for Longfellow and Sir Walter Scott and the romantic s he writes: ".I may be a crank about all this for I am extremely fond of a great deal of Macauley's ballad poetry in spite of all the fustian that there is in parts of it." He further admits to always having "a dreadful mental limitation about the.popular part of Robinson Crusoe and a good deal of 'Arabian Nights'". This letter is a revealing and wonderful expression of Roosevelt's passion for literature and ideas; and a poignant example of his unease over the erosion of the old Victorian absolutes in the face of the new cultural revolution he saw as morally ambiguous iconoclastic and cynical. Contains some corrections emendations and exclamations added in Roosevelt's hand. Near Fine. 4to. paperback‎

Bookseller reference : 884699

Biblio.com

Quaker Hill Books

€3,045.96 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎on imprinted "Apartment 15-A 29 Washington Square West" letterhead New York April 14 1949. Square 8vo. 1 page. To Laurence Spivak member of "Meet The Press": "Thank you very much for your letter and for offering to send me a cross section of the letters on my interview. Please do not send them. My mail is already heavy enough.". Signed by Authors. F. Soft cover. paperback‎

Bookseller reference : 500837

Biblio.com

€274.98 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Franklin D‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎1941. "Franklin D. Roosevelt" with holograph "John" added to the greeting in black fountain pen ink on mint green engraved The White House Washington letterhead March 11 1941. 7" x 8 3/4"; 1 page with integral leaf. Very good. To Reverend John Hunter 215 Madison Avenue Lakewood New Jersey An interesting 15 line letter regarding the appointment of a postmaster for the City of Lakewood New Jersey. Reverend Hunter has added a comment in the top margin about the Land Lease Bill having been signed on the same date as the letter. No Binding. Very Good/No Jacket. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 604304

Biblio.com

€824.95 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎"Eleanor Roosevelt in black fountain pen ink on The White House Washington letterhead n.d. 6 1/8" x 9 1/4"; 1 page recto only; very good paper clip stain upper corner; old mailing folds. Together with the original typed mailing envelope stamped and postmarked Washington D.C. June 13 1934. To Mrs. William Randolph Hearst 137 Riverside Drive New York N.Y. "My dear Mrs. Hearst: This will introduce to you Mrs. John Herrick about whom I wrote. I shall be very grateful if you can find the time to see her and give her the benefit of your advice. Very sincerely yours." Provenance: from the estate of Millicent Hearst. Millicent Hearst 1882-1974 born July 16 1882 New York City; died December 6 1974 New York City; married William Randolph Hearst 1903 gave birth to five sons; Millicent Hearst became estranged from her husband in 1926 when his increasingly open liaison with film actress Marion Davies became intolerable. Millicent thereafter maintained a separate residence in New York City. Mrs. William Randolph Hearst established herself firmly in the social and political landscape of New York City through involvement in many charitable activities often on behalf of the Hearst newspapers. Best know for establishing Free Milk Fund for Babies 1926. Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962 born Anna Eleanor Roosevelt October 11 1884 New York City; died November 7 1962 New York City; American statesman and humanitarian; wife of 32nd U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt 1905-1945; niece of 26th U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt; delegate to the United Nations 1945 1949-52 1961 chairman of the UN Human Rights Commission 1946-51. Signed by Authors. F. Soft cover. paperback‎

Bookseller reference : 602726

Biblio.com

€423.05 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎1934. "Eleanor Roosevelt" in black fountain pen ink on engraved The White House Washington letterhead. 6" x 9 1/4"; 1 page recto only. Very good. Together with the original typed mailing envelope stamped and postmarked Washington D.C. June 13 1934. To Mrs. William Randolph Hearst 137 Riverside Drive New York N.Y. Interesting letter First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt introducing Mrs. Hearst to Mrs. John Herrick and asking Mrs. Hearst to see Mrs. Herrick and give her advice. Provenance: from the estate of Mrs. Millicent Randolph Hearst. Millicent Willson Hearst 1882-1974 born July 16 1882 New York City; died December 6 1974 New York City; married William Randolph Hearst 1903 gave birth to five sons; generous philanthropist and devoted mother best known for establishing Free Milk Fund for Babies 1926. Soft cover. Very Good. paperback‎

Bookseller reference : 603056

Biblio.com

€486.51 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎"Eleanor Roosevelt" in dark blue fountain pen ink on her Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt 202 Fifty-Sixth Street West New York 19 N.Y. letterhead December 23 1958. 6" x 6 7/8"; 1 page recto only; very good small paperclip rust stain upper left margin; old mailing fold; minor signs of handling. To Mrs. Ruth Hammer: "I was interested to get your letter and I commented on it as you will see from the enclosed copy of my column. With my good wishes for the New Year. Very sincerely yours Eleanor Roosevelt." Enclosed is a one page copy of the original letter sent to Mrs. Roosevelt from Mrs. Hammer. In part: ".It has always been our pride that we in America have a two-party system but what happens to our Democrats once they are elected Why is there no one to raise a voice in opposition in healthy disagreement or even in more discussion or debate when issues arise." Also enclosed is a two page copy of Mrs. Roosevelt's column which ran on December 26 1958. In part: ".I can only say that there are others who felt the same way but for the most part if you are going to criticize the administration in power you must have new suggestions to make. And it is very difficult for members of Congress to get the information from the State Department so that they feel they as much as the Executive branch of the government. We really have to depend in great part on what the administration is willing to give out in the way of information in order to get any real ideas of international affairs." Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962 born Anna Eleanor Roosevelt October 11 1884 New York City; died November 7 1962 New York City; American statesman and humanitarian; wife of 32nd U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt 1905-1945; niece of 26th U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt; delegate to the United Nations 1945 1949-52 1961 chairman of the UN Human Rights Commission 1946-51. Signed by Authors. F. Soft cover. paperback‎

Bookseller reference : 602250

Biblio.com

€634.57 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor‎

‎TYPED LETTER SIGNED‎

‎NEW YORK JANUARY 10 1950 1950. TYPED LETTER SIGNED ON APARTMENT 15-A 29 WASHINGTON SQUARE WEST LETTERHEAD NEW YORK JANUARY 10 1950. SMALL 4TO 1 PAGE 32 LINES; TO COLUMNIST WALTER WINCHELL AT THE NEW YORK DAILY MIRROR REGARDING HER PROPOSED NBC RADIO AND TELEVISION PUBLIC SERVICE PROGRAM: ".ONE OF THE ISSUES.IS THE QUESTION OF OUR RELATIONSHIP TO FRANCO SPAIN.I SHOULD LIKE TO EXTEND THIS INVITATION TO YOU.TO TAKE PART IN AN INFORMAL DISCUSSION.ON THE PROGRAM WHICH IS SCHEDULED FOR SUNDAY AFTERNOON FEBRUARY 19TH.THE PROGRAM LASTS HALF AN HOUR AND MY FUNCTION WILL BE TO SERVE AS MODERATOR RATHER THAN AS ADVOCATE.THE PROGRAM WILL BE UNREHEARSED.I KNOW HOW DEEPLY YOU HAVE BEEN CONCERNED WITH THIS MATTER AND I HOPE THAT IT WILL BE POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO BE WITH US." SIGNED-AUTOGRAPHS FINE. Signed by Authors. NEW YORK, JANUARY 10, 1950 unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 195075

Biblio.com

€740.34 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor signed as First Lady‎

‎Typed Letter Signed on White House letterhead May 9 1941. 8vo. 1 page. 7 lines with envelope postmarked NYC May 8 at 11 p.m. To James Hilton: "Many thanks for your note of April twenty-eighth and for your thoughtfulness in sending me the copy of‎

‎GOODBYE MR. CHIPS whicH was published in England some years ago. I loved Mr. Chips and am so happy to have this volume. Meeting you made Sunday memorable to me. Very sinerely yours." Together with an engraved invitation inviting Hilton to lunch on Sunday May 30 1944 with envelope and another engraved card. Signed by Authors. F. Soft cover. paperback‎

Bookseller reference : 194000

Biblio.com

€634.57 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Franklin D‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎1939. "Franklin D. Roosevelt" with holograph "Private" added in black fountain pen ink on engraved The White House Washington mint green letterhead watermarked Whiting's Woven Linen March 22 1939. 7" x 9". 1 page with integral leaf recto only. Fine fresh. To Oregon representative Honorable Nan Wood Honeyman 1728 S.W. Prospect Drive Portland Oregon In part: ". . .Whoever goes in place of good old J.D. Ross will doubtless end up by managing not only Bonneville but Grand Coulee and other future developments on the Columbia Snake and Salmon Rivers. . .In other words there is a vast watershed to be coordinated as such. . .You are right that we must not give up the fight. I am disturbed by the utility taxing bill. I hope it will go to a referendum and that all our crowd will see to it that the whole truth is told. . ." The controversy over dams on the Columbia Snake and Salmon Rivers still rages today. Signed by Authors. No Binding. Fine/No Jacket. unknown‎

Bookseller reference : 604839

Biblio.com

€1,692.20 Buy

‎ROOSEVELT Eleanor‎

‎Typed Letter Signed‎

‎1951. "Eleanor Roosevelt" in dark blue fountain pen ink on her Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt The Park Sheraton Hotel 202 Fifty Six Street West New York 19 N.Y. letterhead March 1 1951. 6 1/8" x 8 1/4"; 1 page recto only. Very good. Together with the original typed mailing envelope free franked return address on the back flap. To Mrs. Anna McGowan Welshpool Campobello Island New Brunswick Canada Interesting letter regarding proposed repairs at the Roosevelt home on Campobello Island New Brunswick Canada. Mrs. Roosevelt comments on the needed repairs to the family house $51000. Stating they cannot make them. She is sending Elliott Roosevelt to make an inspection of the property. The Roosevelt family acquired four acres on the island in 1883. From 1885 when he was a year old until he was stricken with polio in 1921 FDR spent most summers on the island. FDR's last visit to the island was in 1936. He died in 1945. Soft cover. Very Good. paperback‎

Bookseller reference : 603083

Biblio.com

€803.79 Buy

Number of results : 14,935 (299 Page(s))

First page Previous page 1 ... 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 ... 234 244 254 264 274 284 294 ... 299 Next page Last page