書籍販売業者の独立ポータルサイト

‎Collectibles‎

Main

ペアレントテーマ

‎Livres anciens‎
検索結果数 : 48,404 (969 ページ)

最初のページ 前ページ 1 ... 821 822 823 [824] 825 826 827 ... 847 867 887 907 927 947 967 ... 969 次ページ 最後のページ

‎Audsley, George Ashdown, and Bertold Audsley‎

‎The Art of Polychromatic and Decorative Turning: A Practical Manual for the Professional and Amateur Turner‎

‎Boston MA: Small Maynard and Company 1916. Book. VG-. Cloth. First Edition. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. Dull orange cloth lettered in gilt. ix109 pp. color frontis. 20 b&w plates at rear. Modestly rubbed along joints and at corners spine extremities. Several marks/spots to front cover cloth lightly sunned spine panel. Firm binding clean interior. Small, Maynard and Company Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 011936

Biblio.com

Saucony Book Shop
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Saucony Book Shop]

€ 80.38 購入

‎Furstenberg, Jean‎

‎Le Grand Siecle en France et ses Bibliophiles: Volumes a Provenance Manuscrits et Documents de la Fondation Furstenberg-Beaumesnil et de la Collection Jean et Eugene Furstenberg‎

‎Hamburg Germany: Dr. Ernst Hauswedell and Co. Verlag 1972. Book. Very Good. Cloth. First Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. Dark blue-green cloth gilt on black title label on upper spine. 158ii pp. accompanied by 58 of 60 color slides in protective sleeves bound in at front. Slightly rubbed corners and extremities contents a bit thumbed. Lacks two slides nos. 3 and 14; most slides have slightly discolored from aging. Detailed catalogue composed of 212 entries. Most text in French with condensed translation of Jean Furstenberg's essay into German and English at rear. Dr. Ernst Hauswedell and Co. Verlag Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 014814

Biblio.com

Saucony Book Shop
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Saucony Book Shop]

€ 63.46 購入

‎New St Andrews Golf Club Japan‎

‎New St Andrews Golf Club Japan‎

‎Japan: New St Andrews Golf Club Japan Very informative book on the New St Andrews Golf Club Japan Looks to be published around 1972 as an information pack for all aspects of the club. This is made up of 3 oblong format card cover booklets 14¼ x 10¼ Inches contained in an attractive cloth covered silver and gold embossed hard cover. Contains 44 pages in total plus three loose colour inserts all in overall bright clean condition a few small foxing spots to covers and a few pages. Many B/w photographs colour illustrations and plans of buildings and courses all present as called for plus very informative text NO dustwrapper outer boards are bright and clean just a small mark to bottom of spine. HEAVY BOOK 1.6 Kg with sound packing EXTRA POSTAGE REQUIRED FOR OVERSEAS.A pleasing example of an interesting and unusual golf book. SEE IMAGES. DETAILED IMAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST . DecorativeCloth Covered Boards. Good Plus/No Jacket. 14 ½ x 11Inches. Hardcover. New St Andrews Golf Club Japan Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 008750

Biblio.com

Books Bought and Sold
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books Bought and Sold]

€ 74.22 購入

‎Thomas Cross‎

‎The Autobiography of a Stage Coachman 2 Volumes Limited Edition‎

‎London: Kegan Paul Trench Trubner & Co Ltd 1904. Excellent 2 volume set on the era of horse drawn Stage Coaches and the people of that time. Two volumes 503 pp in total plus many splendid full page colour illustrations all present as listed limited to 500 copies.Attractive ribbed green cloth covered boards embossed with gold coaches and lettering Gold coaches are bright gold lettering on spine has dulled some light marking to boards minor rubbing on spine edges from going on and off shelves with other books. Good looking volumes light foxing to early pages and occasional very small spots inside overall bright and clean. HEAVY BOOKS 3 Kg with sound packaging EXTRA POSTAGE MAY BE REQUIRED FOR OVERSEAS. Nice examples of these books SEE IMAGES DETAILED IMAGES CAN BE TAKEN UPON REQUEST. Limited Edition. Gold Embossed Cloth. Good Plus/No Jacket. Illus. by Pollard Alken Rowlandson and others. 27.7 x 7.7 Cms. Hardcover. Kegan Paul Trench Trubner & Co Ltd Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 008471

Biblio.com

Books Bought and Sold
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books Bought and Sold]

€ 340.26 購入

‎Ethel Firebrace‎

‎The Autobiography of Ethel Firebrace‎

‎London: The Cresset Press 1937. First edition of the autobiography of Ethel Firebrace 224 pages in clean condition with light foxing throughout many B/w photographs and illustrationsall present as listed plus very informative text NO dustwrapper.outer boards are clean with very slight discolouration to spine. A pleasing example of this book SEE IMAGES. DETAILED IMAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. First Edition. Cloth Covered Boards. Good Plus/No Jacket. 8 x 5¾ Inches. Hardcover. The Cresset Press, Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 007728

Biblio.com

Books Bought and Sold
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books Bought and Sold]

€ 261.47 購入

‎Maurice Gorham‎

‎The Local‎

‎London: Cassell and Company Limited 1939. Beautifully illustrated book of colour lithographs by Edward Ardizzone depicting the interiors of Lonon Public Houses and the people using them. First edition 1939 containing 51pages in bright clean condition just some light browning to endpapers and previous owners ink details on front endpaper 15 full page colour illustrations all present as listed plus very informative text. NO dustwrapper outer illustrated boards are a little marked and worn on edges and corners spine has become detached and lost over the years but binding is sound. Though not perfect still a pleasing example of this book with bright clean illustrations. SEE IMAGES. DETAILED IMAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. First Edition. Illustrated Boards. Good Plus/No Jacket. Illus. by Edward Ardizzone. 9 ¼ x 6¼ Inches. Hardcover. Cassell and Company Limited Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 007350

Biblio.com

Books Bought and Sold
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books Bought and Sold]

€ 433.88 購入

‎Gurianova, Nina‎

‎Olga Rozanova and the Culture of Avant-Garde Russia‎

‎Netherlands: GB Arts International 2000. Very informative book on Russian Avant Garde art 210 pages in very bright clean condition many colour B/w photographs and illustrations all present as published plus very informative text. NO dustwrapper outer illustrated boards have a few light marks a very nice example of this book SEE IMAGE. DETAILED IMAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. First Edition. Illustrated Boards. Very Good/No Jacket. 10 ¼ x 7¼ Inches. Hardcover. G+B Arts International Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 006605 ISBN : 9057011921 9789057011924

Biblio.com

Books Bought and Sold
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books Bought and Sold]

€ 56.98 購入

‎Jean Dubuffet Galerie Schreiner‎

‎Jean Dubuffet Empreintes‎

‎France: H Bischof Offsetdruck 1974. Excellent book on Jean Dubuffet and his art 30 pages in very bright clean condition neat inscription to former owner by person unknown on title page. Many B/w photographs and illustrationsall present plus FRENCH text NO English translation. Limited edition of 250 this is number 56.NO dustwrapper Folded in is a colour poster 20 inches by 29 inches of an exhibition at Galerie Schreiner 30 Novembre to 31 Janvier 1975 this poster is in very good conditon just some very light yellowing no tears or loss.A very nice example of this book with poster SEE IMAGE. DETAILED IMAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. FIRST LIMITED EDITION. Boards. Very Good/No Jacket. Illus. by Jean Dubuffet. 37 x 25.5 Cms. Hardcover. H Bischof Offsetdruck Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 006700

Biblio.com

Books Bought and Sold
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books Bought and Sold]

€ 51.38 購入

‎William C Hewitson‎

‎Coloured Illustrations of the Eggs of British Birds Volumes 1 and 2‎

‎London: John Van Voorst 1856. Third edition of this work on British birds eggs with descriptions of their nests and identdification. 532 pages over the two volumes in overall clean condition just some browning to first and last couple of pages in each volume occasional small foxing spots and small marks. All 145 numbered coloured plates are present with a couple of extra plates with a star after the number. Bindings are sound but with a few small splits to endpapers at hinges outer boards are worn on corners with small patches of boards showing through. Tops and bottoms of spines are more heavily worn with small losses and small split to top rear hige of volume one 1½ inches long. HEAVY BOOKS 1.9 Kg with strong packing EXTRA POSTAGE REQUIRED FOR OVERSEAS. Though not perfect a sound pair of volumes with splendid illustrations SEE IMAGE. DETAILED IMAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. Third Edition. Boards. Good/No Jacket. 9 x 5¾ Inches. Hardcover. John Van Voorst Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 005496

Biblio.com

Books Bought and Sold
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books Bought and Sold]

€ 222.65 購入

‎Cuban Government‎

‎1866 Pair of Havana Government Manuscripts Authorizing and Publicizing the Chinese Coolie Voyage of the Spanish Frigate Burdeos y Habana 2 Chartered by Hermanos y Watson‎

‎Havana Cuba Macao China: Chinese Coolie Trade Havana Cuba MacAo. Good with no dust jacket. 1866. Non-Book. On offer is an extraordinary pair of interrelated Havana government manuscripts dated June 13 1866 and June 22 1866 documenting both the authorization and the ministerial publication order for a single verifiable coolie voyage being the transport of 240 Chinese laborers aboard the Spanish frigate Burdeos y Habana No. 2 chartered by the Havana merchant firm Caro Hermanos y Watson. Together these two documents form a complete bureaucratic chain tracing the internal certification and public announcement of a named Chinese coolie voyage representing one of an iteration of the trans-Pacific indenture system before its abolition in 1874. The first document signed “Caro Hnos. Y Watson” and issued by the Superior Civil Governor of Havana confirms compliance with the Reglamento de Colonos Asiáticos and certifies that the firm had chartered the frigate Burdeos y Habana No. 2 to convey 240 colonists from Macao to Havana. The second document issued nine days later by the Ministerio de Ultramar and addressed to the Director de la Gaceta de la Habana orders publication of the voyage details in accordance with Article 4 of the Reglamento de Avisos de Ausentes thereby making the notice official in the colonial press. Both manuscripts were written while the ship was still at sea one as an internal act of compliance the other as a ministerial act of recordkeeping revealing the layered bureaucracy that sustained the importation of Asian labor under Spanish rule. According to John Asome’s definitive Coolie Ships of the Chinese Diaspora 1846–1874 the frigate Burdeos y Habana No. 2 departed Macao on March 24 1866 carrying 242 Chinese men and arrived in Havana on August 27 1866 disembarking 224 survivors after nearly five months in transit. These documents reflect the precise administrative rhythm of the trade: local verification metropolitan approval and public disclosure in the Havana Gazette. The Chinese coolie trade a system of indentured labor that targeted young poor Chinese men operated from 1847–1874. Throughout this period African slavery was slowly being abolished around the world. The coolie trade was initiated by Britain and was eventually dominated by both Britain and the United States of America. Chinese coolie laborers were sent to work in British American and Spanish colonies and the nature of the trade changed throughout its 27-year operation due to social and political pressures. The coolie trade took place in large part between the shipping port in Macao now a part of China then under Portuguese rule and Havana Cuba then under Spanish control. As Macao was under Portuguese rule at the time of the coolie trade they transported coolies on their vessels frequently and many of the manifests were written in Portuguese and/or Spanish. To learn more about the Chinese coolie trade and its importance in world history click here to read our in-depth research blog on the topic. Both manuscripts are written in an elegant colonial hand in brown ink on watermarked laid paper. The first measures approximately 8 x 12 inches and bears the official green “Sello 8º” revenue stamp; the second about 12½ x 8½ inches remains legible with minor toning and wear. Both Good; Manuscripts; 4to 11" - 13" tall; 2 pages; On offer is a fascinating government document that demonstrates communication surrounding the Chinese coolie labour ships were discussed in 19th century Havana. The document is from the Superior Civil Governor in Havana. It indicates that coolie trading company Caro Hermanos y Watson have shown compliance with the “article of the Colonial Regulation” and that they have chartered the Spanish frigate Burdeos y Habana to bring 240 Asian colonists to Havana. It was signed on June 13 1866 with the words “Caro huos Watson”. Caro Hermano y and Watson were merchant coolie importers. They were agents working with the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique which specialized in coolie trading. The Burdeos y Habana left Macao on March 15 1866 with 231 Chinese men on board. It arrived in Havana one month after this letter was signed on July 20 1866. 204 Chinese men arrived alive and were sent to work as coolies on Cuban plantations. The Chinese coolie trade a system of indentured labor that targeted young poor Chinese men operated from 1847-1874. Throughout this period African slavery was slowly being abolished around the world. The coolie trade was initiated by Britain and was eventually dominated by both Britain and the United States of America. Chinese coolie laborers were sent to work in British American and Spanish colonies and the nature of the trade changed throughout its 27-year operation due to social and political pressures. The coolie trade took place in large part between the shipping port in Macao now a part of China then under Portuguese rule and Havana Cuba then under Spanish control. As Macau was under Portugese rule at the time of the coolie trade they transported coolies on their vessels frequently and many of the manifests were written in Portuguese and/or Spanish. To learn more about the Chinese coolie trade and its importance in world history click here to read our in-depth research blog on the topic. This document measures 8x12 inches. It exhibits age toning and small tears on the margins. Written in ink it is very legible with a lovely seal stamped and embossed at the top. Spanish language. Good. ; Signed by Author . Chinese Coolie Trade Havana Cuba MacAo unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0012095

‎[WAYANG KULIT: INDONESIAN SHADOW PUPPETS].‎

‎Batara Guru. Jogjakarta Style.‎

‎Indonesia. Before1970s. Water buffalo hide and pigment elaborately gilt and cut out 54 x 69 cms painted both sides jointed arms each affixed to horn batons and another spliced horn baton holds the body. This puppet represents the dewa Bathara Guru in the Javanese and Balinese 'wayang kulit' or leather shadow puppet theatre tradition. Batara Guru is the Indonesian embodiment of the Hindu deity Shiva and perhaps the most sacred of Indonesian shadow puppets. A dalang puppeteer must make offerings to Guru the supreme god creator and ruler of earth who stands at the origin point of humankind before commencing a shadow play performance. Batara Guru also known as Sang Hyang Manikmaya is conceived of as the younger brother of Semar. The figure is generally shown in meditative repose standing upon his mount the bull. He is viewed as a spiritual teacher and guide directing lesser deities and humans in their earthly endeavors. <br> <br>This particularly fine example is elaborately carved with gilt and rides on the mythical bull Nandini. Bathara Guru the Javanese name for the deity Shiva symbolized the imperfection of man represented in the bodily defects of the puppet: four arms small feet marks on the throat and often though not here depicted with fangs. <br> <br>Purchased in Java in the early 1970s. <br> <br>See: Joko Susilo Eisler Shadow-Puppet Collection Catalogue Bates College Lewiston Maine . hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 216158

Biblio.com

Asia Bookroom
Australia Australia Austrália Australie
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Asia Bookroom]

€ 560.23 購入

‎[CHINESE AMERICANA].‎

‎Letter and Invoice Stock for The Chinese Star Printery Seattle.‎

‎United States. Early 20th Century. 20 leaves of blank letter stock 11 x .5 "; 27.7 x 21.7 cms and 4 of smaller invoice stock 8.3 x 5.3"; 21.1 x 14.3 cms; all printed with the letterhead "The Chinese Star Printing Phone ELiott 2572 711 King Street Seattle Wash U.S.A." in black beneath a red sunburst and Chinese text in two columns the letter stock on fine paper with 12 printed columns in red for Chinese writing and the invoice stock on slightly thicker paper and blank beneath a double rule in very good unused condition. . unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 216838

Biblio.com

Asia Bookroom
Australia Australia Austrália Australie
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Asia Bookroom]

€ 82.39 購入

‎[WAYANG KULIT: INDONESIAN SHADOW PUPPETS].‎

‎Matching Set of Punakawan. Semar Gareng Petruk and Bagong: Set of 4 Punakawan Figures.‎

‎Indonesia. Before1970s. Water buffalo hide pigment gilt fabric and hair three of the four figures all with jointed arms painted both sides the arms and bodies affixed to spliced horn batons three for each puppet some abrasion and wear with some loss to the pigment but the set in very good condition: <br>Semar body: 35 x 35 cms; Gareng: 36 x 16 cms; Petruk: 53 x 20 cms; Bagong: 41 x 23 cms. A set of four comedic Punakawan figures. Chief of these is Semar one of the most well-loved figures in Wayang both a humble servant and powerful god. "Semar is usually accompanied by his three adopted sons Gareng Petruk and Bagong and together they are known as the Punakawan 'knowing friends or attendants'." Gregory Churchill et al "Semar ever so smartly" Winayangan 2009. <br> <br>In this set Gareng is the eldest son who limps and has a crippled arm; Petruk is the middle child depicted as tall and lanky who has a distinctive long nose; Bagong is the youngest of the three: a chubby figure with big round eyes thick lips and naïve behaviour. <br> <br>".the scene where Semar traditionally emerges is called the goro-goro “world in chaos”. The narration of the puppeteer speaks of earthquakes and storms that beset the cosmos but then announces Semar who appears like a shaft of light piercing the dark. Semar’s cosmic and comic humour promises the audience both laughs and wisdom. He is a clown who connects the cosmic and everyday. All opposites and contradictions dissolve in his wisdom and mythos." World Encyclopedia of Puppetry Arts <br> <br>Purchased in Java in the early 1970s. <br> <br>See: Joko Susilo Eisler Shadow-Puppet Collection Catalogue Bates College Lewiston Maine . unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 216219

Biblio.com

Asia Bookroom
Australia Australia Austrália Australie
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Asia Bookroom]

€ 560.23 購入

‎[CHINESE AMERICANA - TEA EPHEMERA].‎

‎Group of Chinese American Vintage Price-tags‎

‎United States. Early 20th Century. A group of 11 hole-punched price-tags in the shape of an American route shield printed in red and black on stiff card approx 5 x 4.5 cms with on the verso Chinese text in pen and ink 2 with revised prices; one tag with white-paper laid down on the verso the group age-toned and flecked one tape-stained another strengthened with brown-paper at the top but all in sound condition. A group of vintage American price-tags in the route-shield shape mostly relating to Chinese teas one stating in English "Lipton Tea 52 cents" from the condition of the tags and the text corrections used multiple times. The tags notated in Chinese on the verso were used for an impressive range of mostly oolong varieties including Tieguanyin Jasmine Longjing Wuhe and Lychee. <br> <br>A remarkable group of tea ephemera from an early twentieth century Chinese-American grocer based in Seattle. . unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 216837

Biblio.com

Asia Bookroom
Australia Australia Austrália Australie
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Asia Bookroom]

€ 296.60 購入

‎[PACIFIC AND SOUTHEAST ASIA - ANTIQUE PRINTS] ROSS, MALCOLM (AUTHOR AND PHOTOGRAPHER); RANSOM, FLETCHER C (ARTIST) AND BASS, JOH‎

‎Samoa - Incidents of the Recent Fighting Over Kingship and the Philippines - Three Instances of the Superb Courage of the American Troops Caption Titles.‎

‎New York.: Harper's Weekly. July 11899. Three photographic prints each approx 11 x 20 cms and three black and white engravings together 33.5 x 20.4 cms all captioned printed on two conjoined newspaper leaves pp 645-648 41 x 28.5 cms the associated articles: "Samoa in War-Time" in full with a cameo portrait of the Chief Justice of Samoa and "The Philippine Revolt." partial with a small sketch map of Malolos printed on the verso central fold a few small edge tears and faint toning but in good condition. Malcolm Ross the author and photographer of "Samoa in War-time" was a New Zealand freelance journalist and war correspondent for the New Zealand press as well as the Melbourne Age. In 1899 he spent three months in Samoa covering the clashes for the leadership of the colony that followed the death of Malietoa Laupepa the incumbent chief at the time. <br>Unusual late 19th Century coverage of Samoa especially by a New Zealand photojournalist. <br> <br>The second spread with the incomplete accompanying article by Joh F. Bass a "Special Correspondent of "Harper's Weekly" on "The Philippine Revolt" has an unsurprising pro-American tone: the armed conflict between the First Philippine Republic and the United States 1899-1902 was clearly viewed by the United States as an insurrection rather than as a continuation of the struggle for independence by Filipino nationalists that had begun in 1896 with the Philippine Revolution. . Harper's Weekly. unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 219046

Biblio.com

Asia Bookroom
Australia Australia Austrália Australie
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Asia Bookroom]

€ 115.34 購入

‎1874 Matanzas Cuba Travel Pass Salvoconducto for a Free Man of Color Illustrating Colonial Racial Surveillance‎

‎Matanzas Havana Cuba. Good with no dust jacket. 1874. Non-Book. On offer is a striking colonial-era Cuban salvoconducto an official internal passport authorizing the movement of a free man of color during the turbulent decade of the Ten Years’ War. Issued in Matanzas on June 6 1874 the document is written on official blue papel sellado printed “SELLO 8.º AÑO DE 1874 – 2 PESETAS 50 CÉNTIMOS” and bears serial number No. 085.894. The handwritten header at upper left denotes the registry number and date of issue boldly penned in brown ink beside the embossed seal of the Gobierno Político y Militar de Matanzas. The certificate is signed by José Benítez y Cobos Inspector de Vigilancia del Distrito del Sur de esta Ciudad confirming that Francisco Hernández a 25-year-old pardo free man of color “se halla en este puerto salvo de castigo” is free of punishment and is permitted to travel to Sagua la Grande. The left margin records a detailed physical description: “"Edad 25 años; color pardo; pelo crespo; frente regular; ojos pardos; nariz ancha; boca regular; barba poca” Age 25; brown complexion; curly hair; regular forehead; brown eyes; wide nose; regular mouth; sparse beard. The text further notes that Hernández carries the approval of his Comandante General and a corresponding travel permit issued by Sub-Lieutenant Bustamante. This manuscript illustrates colonial racial surveillance in late 19th-century Cuba when free Afro-Cubans were still required to carry travel passes closely resembling the older slave papeletas de registro. Issued in the final years of the Ten Years’ War 1868–1878 it reflects the administrative continuity that would soon transform into the Patronato system 1880–1886 under which freed people remained bound to their former masters under the guise of “apprenticeship. ”The document remains fully legible and complete written in brown ink on a single folio leaf approx. 8½ × 12½ in. with the embossed government seal printed fiscal heading and all signatures intact. Minor age toning and light handling wear; otherwise very good condition. An exceptionally well-preserved salvoconducto representing the bureaucratic intersection of race labor and mobility in colonial Cuba during one of its most politically charged decades. Overall G. One page 8½ × 12½ in. ink on official papel sellado Sello 8.º Año de 1874. Toning and bends present and heavy text in the upper left corner slightly torn through. Appropriate to age. Spanish language. Translation completed by online software. ; Manuscripts; 4to 11" - 13" tall; 1 pages; Signed by Author . unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0012125

‎Cuban Government‎

‎1880–1881 Matanzas Cuba – Bureaucracy and Empire: Four-Page Colonial Fiscal Manuscript Detailing Tribute Payments and Havana Merchant Accounts‎

‎Matanzas Cuba Havana. Good with no dust jacket. 1880. Non-Book. On offer is a four-page 19th-century Cuban colonial manuscript written in Matanzas in 1880 documenting fiscal receipts and tribute acknowledgments on official Spanish stamped paper issued for “Oficio Año 1881.”This finely preserved document captures the bureaucratic pulse of Cuba at a turning point post–Ten Years’ War 1868–1878 and on the eve of full emancipation 1886. The manuscript is written on papel sellado bearing the seated allegorical figure of Justicia and the printed legend “OFICIO AÑO 1881 – 5 Centavos de Peso” with serial number 200.709. It records a series of attestations by Matanzas officials and merchants concerning monthly tributes “tributos mensuales” and mercantile accounts “cartas mercantes”. At its center is Doña María García de Cobarrubias a Havana resident on Calle de los Zapatos whose payments are certified as duly satisfied: “ha satisfecho el tributo mensual. ” Her appearance as a named taxpayer offers insight into the economic agency of women in the colonial bureaucracy a detail that enhances the social-historical context of the manuscript. Surrounding her case are attestations and receipts signed by Manuel Rodríguez Arencibia Luis Pérez Patricio Amador and others. These are clerks and intermediaries of the Matanzas Secretaría de Hacienda all revalidating accounts and renewals across multiple months October November December and January. This document emerges precisely at the time of the Patronato Law of 1880 which nominally abolished slavery in Cuba while replacing it with a system of “apprenticeship” that bound freed people to their former masters. The Matanzas fiscal bureaucracy one of the island’s most active oversaw this transition by intensifying its record-keeping of all taxes contracts and dues. The language and cadence of this manuscript—formal repetitive and confirmatory—embody the colonial state’s effort to maintain financial and social control during one of the most turbulent reorganizations of its history. A compelling bureaucratic relic from a defining moment in Cuba’s colonial and economic history—linking the fiscal rhythms of Matanzas to Havana’s mercantile life at the threshold between enslavement patronage and modern taxation. The manuscript consists of four densely written pages in brown ink highly legible on both sides of two folio leaves each approx. 8½ × 12½ in. . Toning folds and small tears consistent with the age of the document are present. A few words are partially obscured by a small tear but this does not impact the legibility of the document as a whole. It is otherwise good and it is complete. Spanish Language. Overall Good. Translations for this listing are completed by online translation software. ; Manuscripts; 4to 11" - 13" tall; 4 pages; Signed by Author . unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0012124

‎Juan De Rovirosa‎

‎1847 Havana Letter Regarding the Leasing of Seized Galleons At the San José Wharf‎

‎Havana Cuba Matanzas Cuba. Good with no dust jacket. 1847. Non-Book. On offer is a neatly penned 1847 Havana manuscript letter addressed to the Jefe de la Sección de Bienes Embargados Chief of the Section of Seized Properties and signed by Havana merchant Juan de Rovirosa submitting a formal bid for the leasing of “los galeones existentes en el Muelle de San José ” the galleons then docked at the San José Wharf and held by the colonial administration as confiscated property. Rovirosa references the conditions published in the Gaceta de la Habana and offers “veinte seis pesos en oro” twenty-six pesos in gold for the vessels listed in the attached relation. The Sección de Bienes Embargados managed assets seized by the Spanish Crown in Cuba—property from bankrupt estates unpaid debts or criminal proceedings. Administrative letters like this reflect the bureaucratic and commercial life of Havana’s thriving port during the middle decades of the 19th century a time when the island’s maritime economy was intertwined with both legitimate trade and the waning slave and coolie systems. The Muelle de San José stood among Havana’s busiest wharves where ships were auctioned repaired or repurposed under government oversight. Written in a clear colonial cursive hand in brown iron-gall ink the single leaf bears the docket number “123” at the upper right showing its inclusion in a formal expediente. Rovirosa’s elegant signature and the document’s official phrasing typify the transactional language of Havana’s port bureaucracy under Spanish rule. A fine surviving example of Havana’s mid-19th-century administrative culture illustrating the regulation of maritime and confiscated assets in the pre-reform era—an evocative remnant of the economic mechanisms that sustained the Spanish Caribbean before the decline of empire. Condition: One folio leaf measuring approximately 12x8 inches with light toning faint fold lines minor marginal foxing; ink rich and fully legible.; Manuscripts; 4to 11" - 13" tall; 1 pages; Signed by Author . unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0012126

‎Krefetz, Gerald; Shea, Judith; Schafler, Julie; Williams, Gerry; et al‎

‎Craft Horizons Magazine of the American Crafts Council October Oct. 1974 - Mary McFadden / George Ohr‎

‎USA: American Crafts Council. Good. 1987. First Edition. Single Issue Magazine. 72 pages. Features: Embroidery Through the Ages; Style - The Art of Clothing - the world view of Mary McFadden; Style - The Nontraditional Wearables; Writing Thinking and Being in the Arts Today part II; Death Valley Mining - Gerry Williams travels to where his glaze materials are mined; George Ohr - Clay Prophet; and more. Unmarked with average wear. A sound vintage copy.; Folio - over 12" - 15" tall; Craft Horizons Magazine of the American Crafts Council October Oct. 1974 - Mary McFadden / George Ohr Embroidery Through the Ages; Style - The Art of Clothing - the world view of Mary McFadden; Style - The Nontraditional Wearables; Writing Thinking . American Crafts Council unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 417H2872

‎E Alfred Jones‎

‎Catalogue of the Plate Of Christ Church Oxford‎

‎Oxford University Press 1939. Hardcover. Good/Good Jacket. 30 to 37 cm tall Folio. The jacket has several archive tape repairs along the edges. Two of the pages are torn in the margins. Posted within 1 working day. 1st class tracked post to the UK Airmail tracked worldwide. Robust recyclable packaging. Oxford University Press hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 296183

Biblio.com

M Godding Books Ltd
United Kingdom Reino Unido Reino Unido Royaume-Uni
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: M Godding Books Ltd]

€ 78.78 購入

‎Anonymyzed For Privacy‎

‎1986–2007 Diaries of a Woman Musician in Search of Voice and Home a Two-Decade Chronicle of Ambition Body and Identity from Straight Relationships to Queer Domesticity Across Los Angeles and Dublin‎

‎Los Angeles California Dublin IRELAND. Very Good with no dust jacket. 1986. Hardcover. On offer is a remarkable archive of five diaries kept by a woman born in the Midwest who moved to California with dreams of becoming a singer. This woman is a musician and author who keeps these diaries from age 19 through 40 from 1986–2007. We follow our author’s evolution through three decades—from a frantic teen falling in love with a musician to a middle-aged woman planning the structure of her company. She writes it all: the loss of her virginity to a man in 1986 contrasts her spiritual marriage to her female life partner and established lesbian identity in 1995. She writes of her move from Los Angeles to Dublin after a negative experience with a well-known 1990s record producer and her struggle to overcome childhood trauma and an eating disorder. Through it all one thing remains constant—her passion for artistry and drive to have her music and writing resonate around the world. She sums up her drive in her first diary: “Success is important to me because of my background. Small-town girl with loads of talent who had the opportunity to go to the city to begin nurturing that talent” June 16 1991. Identifying details remain anonymized to protect the identity of the author and other living people. Anonymized BIO NOTES can be found at the end of the listing; a de-anonymized version will be provided to the buyer to establish provenance. Her first full entry dated August 26 1986 introduces an open chatty 19-year-old musician focused on building her career overcoming sexual abuse and finding a safe romantic relationship: “.My car got repaired thanks to my daddy. He was a real sweetheart and loaned me $500…Louie is a friend of my band and he is so sweet. But he was already with this gorgeous girl named Tina…My band was performing at this wedding and Louis came up 2 me .offered words of praise and encouragement. Anyway. I had a friend at the wedding.her name is Sandy…Sandy told Louis. Louis told Sandy that he liked me 2. I was overjoyed…He's a wonderful man and he started kissing me. My heart began beating faster and faster but so did my insecurities. I was sexually abused for 3 years by a male family member and I haven't really been with anyone since…”After some drama related to Louis our author true to the spirit of a teen seeking freedom moves on quickly to the man to whom she would lose her virginity and become engaged: “Today I became a woman. It hurt like hell but I did it. I closed to doors to my past and made room 4 my future. Bobby is my 1st…” Sept 24 1986. “.Everything still hurts and every1 acts sort of distant meaning Bobby…. It’s just human nature. The hanging on each other has ceased now…My family member who committed assault wasn’t a man he was a beast. And no matter how bad Mother Nature can affect us we can’t help it. Not all men aren’t still affectionate after sex even if they aren’t beasts…” Sept 25 1986. She keeps the diary until Sept 30 returns briefly on February 4 1987 to share her and Bobby’s engagement news. In March 1991 about to turn 25 she resumes regular entries. She tells her diary she and Bobby are over because she “didn’t want to marry a drug addicted musician. ” She is living with a new man named Mark together since 1989 and is focused on recording demos teaching singing lessons moving to New York and hitting her goal weight 95–100 lbs. She self-identifies as bulimic. Her partner Mark supports her dreams financially and emotionally but she spends much of the diary flip-flopping on her feelings toward him—discussing marriage one day confessing attraction to others the next. She eventually admits to cheating and the guilt that follows. She also references same-sex attraction: “.Bernadette and I worked pretty well together. I really like her. I even fantacised sic a bit. It was weird. Power. Turns me on and that along w/energy in me is a deadly lethal combination…” April 10 1991. Alongside her relationship struggles she spends 1991 trying to get a record deal by connecting in the LA music scene writing songs and trying to get her music into the right hands at one point she asks her friend Maynard to help get her demo to his agent and contemplates giving it to Lenny Kravitz. She performs at Magic Mountain and is later fired and runs into trouble with a music manager named Mike all while making new connections. She ends her first diary in December 1991 with a plan to beat her eating disorder further her career and become more spiritually enlightened. Diary Two: We meet her again in July 1995 now 28. She is in lust with a woman name protected for privacy. Mark is a memory. She seems at peace: “Happily I find myself a grown up after one of the longest childhoods of all time. I feel I have finally attained some personal wants that were long overdue. Someone who loves me the way I love them a very active productive city life…” July 22 1995. “I want to be a famous musician…This is the third and last time I have gone without music for more than a month. Once as a child when my managers and I parted ways and my uncle left…Second after I began living with Mark and my Warner deal fell through and now…” July 27 1995. “I feel kind of disappointed in some things…and grateful for others…I am disappointed in marriage and music. Marriage because it seems like we don’t get one and music because…I haven’t fully gotten my hands on it yet…same w/marriage - so close to my reach…” Aug 11 1995. Later that August she writes: “I am married now - but really have a best friend that I get to plunk whenever it's allowed.which I wouldn't mind as much if everything else was cool. my wife called me an asshole for writing that.”While gay marriage was not yet legal in the United States or Ireland she writes “.I married myself to her and committed to her for life…” Sept 12 1995. She and her wife struggle with being openly gay and committed in the 1990s: “.My beef with my wife is…she is very uptight about our relationship in public…I can’t understand why my wife would allow me to marry myself to her if we are something to be ashamed of…We don’t have sex with her daughter in the house and we’re not blatant as we used to be…All signs point to her being ashamed of ‘us’.Tonight she was worried about a mark I had left on her neck. She was worried that her gay brother name withheld …had seen it…”Sept 12 1995. She also struggles to coexist with her wife’s teen daughter: “I've had a lot of fun smoking week.It was interesting being near my wife’s daughter in an altered state…I would take the ultimate care of her if ever it was needed but I find her very very ridiculously arrogant and spoiled…because of the constant competition for my wife’s affections - I find it unbearable." Sept 18 1995. Other topics she covers at length include her musical aspirations producing a new album opening a club current events she has much to say about the O. J. Simpson verdict 1990s music songwriting earning an income at one point teaching aerobics and cleaning houses life in Dublin versus Los Angeles and her constant belief that fame and fortune will come. Her final entry is October 28 1995. Diary Three begins two days later October 30. She is seeing a woman named Monna. They visit the mountains together work on music together. This diary covers Nov–Dec 1995 in great detail with long introspective entries about her career her father her wife’s child and current events like an interview with Lady Diana. Her mood fluctuates with a bulimia relapse recorded: “.my wife and I are trying this new schedule that I read about. It’s based on Ayurvedic principle that the body cannot properly heal itself except in…between 10-2…” Nov 21; “Don’t know why I wound up in the bathroom last night. I was in such a good mood and really hopeful…I can’t even blame a lack of money…upon waking - I am wearing the white sweatshirt that…makes me feel like a Cathy Bates sic lookalike…and I have my sweatpants too. They make me feel.fat.” Nov 25. As always her belief in herself is strong: “I really really want to have books in the bookstore and am looking forward to publishing books and the coolest journals through a subsidiary of Legacy…I have been envisioning this huge success for my record label with my wife running record label and me running Legacy and both of us helping each other always…”This diary also includes lyrics she was working on: “The audience gathers/awaiting the act of the night/the curtain goes up and/the opening is denied…She sits in the bathroom/and counts all the cracks in the tile/She knows there’s a reason…The critics debate over why the main character stays/She made an incision/and felt the division inside/as she walked down the aisle…”A December entry recalls her step-grandfather and highlights our author's poetic writing style which becomes more eloquent as her writing matures over the years: “I remember my step-grandfather fondly. Teaching me that great game of poker at the age of five and sending me home with his caddy of chips and cards to my stingy grandmother’s dismay. And God how I loved to comb his hair! .I remember being in my room 3000 miles away…playing with the poker chips in my hand…letting one fall on top of the other and listening to the mundane sound of one plastic chip hitting another…my mother asking me why I was so sad…I didn’t really see him that often…but I knew him enough to love him…after all he sat still for hours when I was five letting me comb that little bit of hair over even giving me a sip of…beer while no one was looking…”Diaries Four and Five bring us into the 21st century. She begins Diary 4 a small red book marked Carpe Diem as an inspirational quote book in 2002–2003 then resumes it in March 2005 aged 38 and “in the throes of ‘mid-life crisis. ’” She keeps it until late October 2005. She writes of her health regimen—water vitamins weightlifting affirmations—and her goal to “earn my $5 million from music and film” within three years. She revisits the topic of the family member who assaulted her: “I let everybody in the family know. I did my best to protect female cousins.That Memorial Day Weekend…was it 1985 or 1986 My god - I was brave…. It was so important to let him know that I didn’t fear him otherwise the predatory beast would smell it from me…I didn’t run away from the confrontation…HE KNEW! ” March 23 2005. Her wife’s daughter is now 21; she still has conflicting emotions toward her. Yet she’s working on an album revising a business plan discovering her passion for animals and ready to leave Ireland. In the mid-2000s she writes less about sexuality more about power and ambition: “Sitting here listening to my album…my wife is about to meet one of the smaller investors in the record…so excited about turning this record into a success and going to LA and getting an American aspect of life set up…Really ready to…achieve this life-long dream of having a hit record. After that.I want to be a film musician! ” Aug 6 2005. “3 out of 4 investors have dropped out so far which is devastating - mostly because I’m ready to get out of Ireland…I’m just tired of living life…broke and stressed…. I want money to make myself famous to help people to buy a house…”Aug 11 2005. Her last entry October 24 2005 ends with a prayer that an investor deliver promised funds so she can return to the U. S. The final diary covers August 2006 to April 2007 ending just after her 40th birthday. Some excerpts show how she has matured in marriage and business: “.we're leaving Ireland for awhile. My dreams in tact. I'm in tact.unscathed by life - only enlightened.Today got a great guitar…I was thinking about getting a new Yorkee.but realistically it has to wait until after we are done working my record.I am looking forward to putting in so much work on the album” Undated mid-Aug 2006. “.We paid for the album yesterday and that deems it officially finished from where I am sitting. There is nothing more that I can do creatively…” Sept 3 2006. “…Well I have found my work footing and I actually finished our business plan. I think Jimmy is going to end up buying name of business venture for a million. That means my wife and I will have about a hundred grand at the end of the day. Not as much as we thought initially but we can do everything we need to…” Jan 17 2007. “my brother-in-law and his male partner went through a final break up. I feel bad for my brother-in-law in the short term and really good for him long term…He deserves to find that perfect relationship - Like my wife and I have - no nonsense - trust even in PMS! ! .” March 31 2007. In her final entry April 22 2007 she and her wife are leaving Ireland for the U. S. And she has big plans: “.I have been a little irritable…just moving etc…Today I looked at some car insurance estimate and it said ‘Age: 40’.and my heart skipped a beat…it was freaky! Good news There’s time…I saw the perfect El Paso house today…Nice $215000. I wish we could buy it…I began working on a new film script.It could be a cute tightly packaged little movie. Sebastien Bach or Bon Jovi could be good leads…I also started writing a new song today…Several goals…Book the birds and the dog cargo flights…finish move-out…Move into name of neighbourhood.record Joe’s song…Work religiously on the record and name of another neighbourhood house…sort out my mom’s and dad’s present…lose a little touch of weight and get a tan…I have been enjoying my new life of meditation and no sugar…Here’s to new beginnings…and striving toward my absolute best. ”An additional item is a photo album featuring her wife’s daughter showing a young adult social life in Los Angeles in 2007. Taken together these five diaries form a rare longitudinal primary source tracing one woman’s passage from a 19-year-old Los Angeles striver in 1986 to a 40-year-old transatlantic artist in 2007. Across that arc the pages document the formation of lesbian identity out of early heterosexual scripts; the aftershocks of childhood sexual abuse and bulimia; the textures of queer domestic life with a female partner and step-parenting a teen; and the daily labor of songwriting gigging and independent label-building inside and against a male-dominated music economy. Because entries move from L. A. Rehearsal rooms to Dublin flats and back toward the U. S. the set uniquely supports transatlantic studies of queer migration visibility and community formation in the 1990s and early 2000s—before marriage equality and while stigma still shaped public self-presentation. For Gender and Queer Studies the archive is immediately teachable and deeply researchable: students can follow in first person the shift from compulsory heterosexuality to a self-declared lesbian life; analyze body image and celebrity culture as gendered regimes; and read creative process alongside intimate partnership step-family dynamics and economic precarity. For methods courses it models feminist life-writing as both survival practice and cultural production; for seminars on queer modernities it anchors discussion with a dated record of language law and everyday negotiation of “outness. ” The inclusion of original lyrics business plans and a related photo album broadens the evidentiary field beyond narrative to material culture and creative artifacts. Acquired as a unit the diaries will serve as a cornerstone teaching and research collection for courses in feminist autobiography trauma and recovery queer domesticities and the sociology of art. Identifying details are responsibly anonymized for classroom use; a de-anonymized research dossier and provenance will be provided to the purchasing institution. In short this is a sustained candid and assignable life record of a queer woman artist—precisely the kind of multi-decade cross-geography testimony that advances scholarship and sparks undergraduate engagement. ANONYMIZED BIO NOTES: The author a woman born in the American Midwest in the late 1960s was raised in a working-class family that separated during her childhood and later reconciled. By her teens she had relocated to California where she pursued a career in music and performance. A gifted vocalist and songwriter she performed with several regional bands before moving into independent production. During the 1990s she became active in the Los Angeles recording scene and collaborated with well-known industry figures. After a negative professional encounter with a prominent producer who pressured her to alter her image and sound she relocated to Dublin Ireland where she re-established her career under a stage name and co-founded an independent record label with her long-term female partner and manager. Together they produced and released her debut album in the mid-1990s later returning to California to launch a new creative enterprise and a self-funded follow-up record in the 2000s. Across her diaries she identifies as a musician writer and entrepreneur documenting the realities of life as a queer woman artist navigating two continents and multiple creative industries. Her published music and writing—credited jointly with her partner—remain accessible online. ; Manuscripts; 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall; KEYWORDS: HISTORY OF IRELAND ROCK AND ROLL SINGERS MUSICIANS LATE 20TH CENTURY EARLY 21ST CENTURY GENDER ISSUES SEXUALITY LESBIANISM LGBT LESBIAN GENDER IDENTITY WOMEN'S STUDIES WOMEN'S ISSUES DRUGS ADDICTION POT MARIJUANA HOMOSEXUAL SOCIAL STUDIES POST MODERN SEXUAL ABUSE PREDATOR DREAMS DREAM STUDIES PSYCHOLOGICAL MENTAL ILLNESS CHILD ABUSE SEXUAL ADDICTION SEX ADDICTS SEX ABUSE HANDWRITTEN MANUSCRIPT AMERICANA DOCUMENT LETTER AUTOGRAPH DIARY JOURNAL LOG KEEPSAKE WRITER HAND WRITTEN DOCUMENTS SIGNED LETTERS MANUSCRIPTS HISTORICAL HOLOGRAPH WRITERS DIARIES JOURNALS LOGS AUTOGRAPHS PERSONAL MEMOIR MEMORIAL PERSONAL HISTORY antiquité contrat vélin document manuscrit papier Antike Brief Pergament Dokument Manuskript Papier oggetto d'antiquariato atto velina documento manoscritto carta antigüedad hecho vitela documento manuscrito; Signed by Author . hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0001657

‎LAURENCE HOUSMAN‎

‎1916 Unpublished Autograph Poem Handwritten and Delivered by Laurence Housman in New York: A Queer English Writer and Suffragist’s Wartime Appeal for Peace Equality and the Moral Renewal of the New World‎

‎LONDON ENGLAND UK. Good with no dust jacket. 1916. Decorative Cloth. On offer is an unpublished autograph poem handwritten by English dramatist illustrator and reformer Laurence Housman 1865–1959 an internationally celebrated playwright pacifist and early queer rights advocate. In 1916 Housman was at a moment of creative and ideological fervor: a queer English moralist witnessing the New World during Europe’s collapse into war. From the first stanza of his poem his dinner-table gratitude becomes an appeal for peace human fellowship and the suffragist’s dream of equality beyond empire. Housman sailed to America on the S. S. California and arrived in New York on March 1 1916 for his first ever visit and speaking tour. On the day he arrived on American soil he addressed his peers at the New York Players Club describing himself as“an ardent suffragist” clarifying his plans to give “several talks before suffrage gatherings” during his two months in America and stating that he is motivated by the “conditions which the war has imposed on women in England has made me stronger in my desire to see women sharing equal rights with men. The war has forced women to work alongside men at occupations that are entirely new to them…” New York Tribune March 2 1916. Two days later at the National Arts Club on Gramercy Park he gave an interview to Nixola Greeley-Smith for The Evening World published in the Evening World on Mar 6 calling New York “an over-masculine city” and arguing that the world’s collapse lay in men’s worship of hardness and property. Between these public statements and his first scheduled lecture at the National Arts Club on March 8 1916 Housman attended a convivial Monday gathering memorialized in this poem framed as an after-dinner toast yet weighted with moral urgency. The poem simultaneously honours and appeals to his American contemporaries. He opens in light self-mockery: “‘Twas my delight on a Monday night As I chanced to be in the localityOf your chamber of Tubs to sample the club’sHebdamoal hospitality. ”The lilting rhythm and comic diction are deliberate masks. What begins as social verse quickly turns into transatlantic reflection. Housman contrasts the free fellowship of his New York hosts with the murderous tribalism consuming Europe. Another excerpt: “Relaxed from the weight all horror and hate Of Europe’s bloody necrophilists I tucked in my knees quite smugly at ease With dramatists painters and novelists. …There close on one bench sat German and FrenchAnd Japanese come from the Yellow Seas And Russian and Hun were sharing the fun Forgetting their racial jealousies. ”Across these stanzas the club becomes a microcosm of peace its international ease a rebuke to“the Old World’s savage diplomacies”. The humor ripens into moral vision: Housman sees in America what he no longer sees in Europe—an instinct for cooperation un-poisoned by imperial pride. Still neutral in early 1916 the United States represented for him a moral frontier a country that might prove civilization could be sustained by intellect and empathy rather than domination. The poet’s tone initially genial grows exhortative: “It’s the Head not the Heart that still keeps us apart…There’s Peace knocking sure at America’s door If she’ll only have courage to open it. ”In this closing appeal Housman urges America to become the conscience that Europe in its masculine self-destruction had forfeited. From his vantage the United States stood as the possible inheritor of a more humane order one that valued life above property and reason above violence. Beneath its convivial surface the poem reads as a transatlantic sermon: a queer humanist’s hope that the gentler instincts of art intellect and fellowship might survive in the New World even as they perished in the Old. The reference to a “chamber of Tubs” and “Hebdomadal hospitality” likely nods to one of the weekly arts-club dinners around Gramercy Park perhaps the Players or the National Arts Club where dramatists painters and novelists gathered on Monday evenings. The phrase is likely Housman’s own humorous coinage. As an artifact this piece stands at the intersection of literature gender history wartime conscience and transatlantic reform. It documents Housman’s first week in America his first direct appeal to an American audience and his earliest poetic response to the United States—a nation he imagined as moral heir to a Europe undone by its own masculinity. Written by a pacifist homosexual suffragist in the middle of the Great War it fuses charm and prophecy dinner talk and diplomacy turning gratitude into theology. The poem remains unpublished and unrecorded and its date five days after arrival makes it the earliest known creative work from his 1916 tour. Autograph poem on two lined leaves in Housman’s hand signed and dated March 6 1916; mounted photograph opposite showing Housman with a group of men in formal dress one likely his brother A. E. Housman ; bound in red-marbled boards with cloth spine and manuscript title label. Bright clean and well-preserved; Good condition. BIO NOTES: Laurence Housman 1865–1959 was a playwright illustrator and reformer whose blend of aestheticism and activism made him one of the moral architects of early-twentieth-century Britain. A founder of the Men’s League for Women’s Suffrage and later of the British Society for Sex Psychology he championed pacifism socialism and sexual honesty long before such positions were safe. As the brother of poet A. E. Housman he shared the family’s literary refinement but turned his art toward ethical theatre and public conscience. His private homosexuality lived in celibate integrity shaped his philosophy of tenderness and reason over force. His fantasy play Prunella 1906 achieved New York success under Winthrop Ames in 1914 paving the way for his American tour of 1916. During the war he lectured widely on art citizenship and peace arguing that the enfranchisement of women and the rejection of militarism were inseparable moral imperatives. A Club Dinner Memory composed in New York during his opening week remains a rare firsthand document linking queer authorship suffrage activism and wartime humanism across the Atlantic. ; Manuscript; 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall; 3 pages; HANDWRITTEN MANUSCRIPT DOCUMENT LETTER AUTOGRAPH DIARY JOURNAL LOG KEEPSAKE WRITER HAND WRITTEN DOCUMENTS SIGNED LETTERS MANUSCRIPTS HISTORICAL HOLOGRAPH WRITERS DIARIES JOURNALS LOGS AUTOGRAPHS PERSONAL MEMOIR MEMORIAL PERSONAL HISTORY BRITAIN BRITISH BRITISH EMPIRE RAF World War I WW I TRAVEL ANTIQUITÉ CONTRAT VÉLIN MANUSCRIT PAPIER ANTIKE BRIEF PERGAMENT DOKUMENT WORLD WAR ONE WWI SOCIALISM PACIFISM SUFFRAGE SUFFERAGE COMMUNISM BOOK SELLING HOMOSEXUALITY GAY LESBIAN STUDIES ; Signed by Author . hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 000839

‎Judith A Boss and Joseph D Thomas‎

‎New Bedford A Pictorial History‎

‎Norfolk/Virginia Beach VA: The Donning Company Publishers 1983. 1st Edition . Hardcover. Near Fine/Very Good. NF/VG/private limited edition/signed by both contributors. A solid attractive copy. Book is tight square unmarked with sharp corners. The gilt on the front cover illustration has no wear at all. The dust jacket has no fading and some rubbing at the corners a closed tear on the front panelno loss of paper and is now covered with a mylar sleeve. There is a sticker on the verso of the front free end paper signed by both authors and documenting this copy as number 115 of a limited edition of 3000. On the opposite page is the signature of the President of New Bedford Five Cents Savings Bank which is responsible for this edition. 204pp. profusely illustrated with a bibliography and complete index. Comes to you in an acid free document bag for storage mailed boxed and I can have this puppy in the mail tomorrow. BRBC <br/> <br/> The Donning Company Publishers hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 023699

Biblio.com

Books About The South
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books About The South]

€ 50.77 購入

‎Carlson, Peter‎

‎Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey‎

‎PublicAffairs 2013. 1st Edition 1st Printing. Hardcover. Near Fine/Near Fine. NF/NF/1st ed.1st printing stated./ SIGNED I don't know about you but the title of this book sounds to me like a late 20th century comedy duo movielike Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi Cheech and Chong---hey---Bert and Ernie. But it's not this is serious Civil War business. This book is in terrific condition with only a little rubbing on the front upper and lower corners. The book has no markings is not price clipped with a tight binding and sharp corners. Signed by author on the title. Not an ex-library book or remainder. Now sportin' a brand new mylar sleeve and comes to you in an acid free document bag for storage mailed boxed and I can have it in mail tomorrow. BRBC <br/> <br/> PublicAffairs hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 023698 ISBN : 1610391543 9781610391542

Biblio.com

Books About The South
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books About The South]

€ 42.31 購入

‎Charles J Shields‎

‎Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee‎

‎New York NY: Henry Holt and Company 2016. Hardcover. Fine/Fine. F/F/ 1st ed. THUS An almost new copy. No wear of any kind clean with no marking or writing of any kind except for the author's signature on the title page. This is a first printing of the revised 2016 edition and was signed in the first month of publication. The dust jacket has had no abuse; no nicks or tears and the price is intact and there's a mylar sleeve over the whole sheebang. Certainly gift qualityjust in time for Christmas Now that "To Kill a Mockingbird" has been declared America's favorite novel by PBS this might make a good follow up for a fan. Comes to you in an archival document bag for storage. I can have it in the mail to you tomorrow. BRBC <br/> <br/> Henry Holt and Company hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 023704 ISBN : 080507919x 9780805079197

Biblio.com

Books About The South
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books About The South]

€ 71.92 購入

‎Jr, James F Barnett‎

‎The Natchez Indians: A History to 1735‎

‎Jackson Miss: University Press of Mississippi 2007. 1st Edition 1st Printing. Hardcover. Fine/Fine. F/F/1st ed./1st printing stated/SIGNED. This is a copy that is of gift giving quality; and on the scarce side at that. Red cloth over boards with a tight binding sharp corners absolutely no wear to the jacket clean bright unmarked pages it's signed on the title page by the authorname only AND it's a first printing. 224pp. maps illustrations notes bibliography index. The jacket has been covered with a mylar sleeve and comes to you in an acid free document bag. I mail the book boxed and I can have it in the mail tomorrow. BRBC <br/> <br/> University Press of Mississippi hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 023700 ISBN : 1578069882 9781578069880

Biblio.com

Books About The South
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books About The South]

€ 97.30 購入

‎Gary Livingston‎

‎Fields of Gray Battle of Griswoldville November 22 1864‎

‎Cooperstown NY: Caisson Press 1996. First Edition . Hardcover. Fine/Fine. F/F/1st ed. stated/Signed. Copy in perfect shape no flaws to jacket or book tight and sharp cornered. Previous owners blind book stamp. Now covered with a mylar sleeve. Boldly signed by author on title page name only. 223pp. several maps order of Battle of Griswoldville Georgia Historic Markers newspaper articles on the battle bibliography and reference notes. Housed in an acid free document bag for storage mailed boxed and I can have this in the mail to you tomorrow. LRBC <br/> <br/> Caisson Press hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0022999

Biblio.com

Books About The South
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Books About The South]

€ 93.07 購入

‎Andre BRETON - Elisa BRETON - Benjamin PERET‎

‎Carte postale autographe inédite d'André Breton signée par lui-même sa femme Elisa Benjamin Péret Toyen et Jindrich Heisler adressée à M. et Mme Marcel Jean • Handwritten postcard from Andre Breton signed by himself his wife Elisa Benjamin Peret Toyen and Jindrich Heisler addressed to M. and Mme Marcel Jean‎

‎Île-de-Sein 1949. Fine. Île-de-Sein Août 1949 13.60 x 9 cm une carte postale Handwritten postcard from André Breton signed by himself his wife Elisa Benjamin Péret Toyen and Jindich Heisler addressed to Marcel Jean and his wife and written on the back of a black and white photograph view of the Chaise-du-Curé rocks on the Île de Sein Finistère. Charming poetic postcard written during a stay in Brittany: ""la corne de brume manque à tous ses devoirs quoique le coupage au couteau soit de règle. Dans la vase à quoi se limite la vue de l'hôtel de l'Océan un bateau penché dit son nom : ""Rose effeuillée"". Rien de moins. Mais c'est toujours très bien dans l'ensemble."" Returning to more “professional” discussions Breton asks for news of the American gallery owner Sidney Janis: “What was the result of the Janis' visit” unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 75342

‎Poortvliet, Rien‎

‎DUTCH TREAT the Artist's Life Written and Painted By Himself‎

‎NY: Harry N Abrams 1981. USA Presumed First American eidtion. Owner's 6 woed inscription to cornr of end paper no other markings Fine in Neaar Fine dust jacket. Green boards illus end papers no page numbers about 200 pages the book is filled with remarkable colour illustrations by the artist. Being a plasterer's son from Schiedam making a living as an artist did not seem an option for Rien Poortvliet. His parents were strict followers of the Dutch Reformed Church and were opposed to the idea of their oldest son going to an art academy. Rien's aptitude for drawing showed early on. After primary education the young Rien worked at an ad agency where he could make some use of his talent. Poortvliet saw himself as a storyteller in drawings. His drawings told the tale and at most he added a short caption. He died in 1995. Poortvliet found recognition when Prince Bernhard opened the Rien Poortvliet Museum in 1992. A heavy book. 3.5 JM HOJ 301/6. 1st. Hardcover. Fine/Near Fine. 4to - over 9¾" - 12". Harry N Abrams Hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 06085 ISBN : 0810908182 9780810908185

Biblio.com

JWMah
Canada Canadá Canadá Canada
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: JWMah]

€ 63.03 購入

‎CAAN, James (1940-2022)‎

‎Photograph Signed‎

‎Appearing in dozens of films from 1963 until his death this actor is often remembered as "Sonny" Corleone in 1974's "The Godfather" and its 1974 sequel; other memorable films include "Brian's Song" 1971 "Rollerball" 1975 "A Bridge Too Far" 1977 "Misery" 1990 and "Elf" 2003. PS glossy black-and-white 9" X 7" n.p. n.y. Fine. Still scene from the 1974 cop comedy "Freebie and the Bean" showing Caan at left arguing with co-star Alan Arkin at right. In a light area at upper left Caan signs large and bold in black fineline. Printed text on verso describes the scene; an "ABC Television Network" 1979 re-release. unknown‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 7526

‎Morris, William (1834-1896) (translator)‎

‎The Tale of the Emperor Coustans; and Of Over Sea‎

‎<p>London/Hammersmith: Kelmscott Press 1894. Limited First Edition. green goatskin. Fine. 16mo: 5 13/16" x 4 1/8" x 3/4" 14.8 x 10.5 x 1.9 cm.</p><p>First Printing. Printed by and sold by William Morris. Bound in fine tooled in gilt by Deborah Evetts with a diaper pattern of alternating small Kelmscott flowers and dots across covers and spine title running across top and bottom of upper cover uncut stamp-signed "DE'08" on rear turn-in. One of 20 at two guineas velum copies plus 525 at seven shillings and sixpence on paper; this copy on vellum. Colophon in red and black. iv 130 pp.</p><p>Printed in black and red throughout in the Chaucer type designed by Morris for his press. Woodcut frontispiece title within a floral border and facing page with full woodcut floral page-border borders 11a and 11. Numerous 7- 6- and 3-line woodblock initial capitals all designed by Morris engraved by William Harcourt Hooper. Shoulder notes and some lines including colophon in red.</p><p>A medieval French tale translated by Morris who found them in a collection of medieval romances printed in Paris in 1856 NOUVELLES FRANcAISES EN PROSE DU XIIIEME SIeCLE. The Kelmscott Press also published two other works from the same source. THE TALE OF EMPEROR COUSTANS was the source of THE MAN BORN TO BE KING in THE EARTHLY PARADISE. The second story is A TALE OF OVER SEA. Cockerell 26. Peterson A26. Walsdorf 26.</p><p>Housed in green buckram drop-back box brown goatskin label titled in gilt on spine. Condition overall: Fine.</p> Kelmscott Press‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 1307

Biblio.com

MRM Books
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: MRM Books]

€ 35,113.15 購入

‎National Geographic Society‎

‎National Geographic Visual History of the World Deluxe Edition‎

‎Washington D.C.: National Geographic Society. New with no dust jacket. 2005. First Printing. Leather. Deluxe edition. Full black padded leather gilt lettering on spine and cover. Profusely illustrated. The world history book to define all others National Geographic Visual History of the World is a classic in the making. No other volume offers such a comprehensive and richly illustrated chronicle of world events from the construction of the Pyramids to the overthrow of the Taliban. Readers see how momentous happenings personalities catastrophes discoveries and inventions unfold in a visually stimulating layout. Four eight-page gatefolds bring to life major events of world history and thousands of paintings photographs and illustrations depict subjects ranging from the Roman Empire to the Reformation World War II to the war in Afghanistan. A timeline at the bottom of every page highlights the most important events names and dates of the era and color-coded cross-referencing helps point readers to other applicable sections. Ideal for people who prefer to flip through books at random this highly accessible resource contains sidebars on the great religions influential ideologies and other topics as well as biographies of world leaders and notable personalities in the arts and humanities. National Geographic Visual History of the World is an indispensable impressive and extravagantly illustrated reference of social cultural and military history in one volume. It is a must-have for all families armchair historians and serious scholars alike. . This is a brand new copy in perfect condition still in the original shrink-wrap. NEW. . Photographs Drawings Maps etc. 4to 11" - 13" tall. 656 pp . National Geographic Society hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 23775

Biblio.com

Round Table Books, LLC
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Round Table Books, LLC]

€ 59.23 購入

‎E W S (Initials Only - Serious Buyers Contact Seller For Full Name)‎

‎1997–2000 Manuscript Diaries of a Lesbian Mother Confronting Sobriety Shame and the Search for Self in Late-Twentieth-Century Florida‎

‎Sarasota Arcadia Florida. Very Good with no dust jacket. 1997. Hardcover. On offer is a pair of diaries belonging to a middle-aged mother who began keeping a journal in order to write her way through her feelings surrounding her identity as a lesbian. Through her writing she also explores her struggles with multiple addictions and the impact her challenges have on her school-aged child who would sadly die only six months after her final entry. Anonymized but complete biographical information on our author is available in the BIO NOTES at the end of the listing. The author of this diary is identified by name within both volumes; however her name and all information that identifies her family are being withheld from public listing out of respect for her many immediate living family members. A de-anonymized biography will be provided privately to serious buyers for research and provenance purposes. Our author is 41-years-old when she begins writing in 1997 and going on 43 when she makes her last entry in March of 2000. She titles her first diary “Volume One” and begins it on February 21 1997. She keeps it until Friday June 6 1997 writing near-daily and only on the right side of every page. In her first entry she lays out her purpose for journaling: “This book is…about who I am in this moment…. Mostly it is about sexuality mine once lost and now found. It is about being a lesbian feeling wonderful about it and feel so relieved I can’t believe it” Feb 21 1997. Our author is educated intelligent and hopeful. She struggles with self-acceptance loneliness her sexual identity parenting a child who exhibited extremely challenging behaviours multiple addictions and mysteries from her past. While she is never explicit about her past we know she has a history of substance use and financial issues as well as challenges with her father and older brother. It is also implied that she had previously taken advantage of family members and possibly even stolen from them. Throughout the diaries one thing is clear: this author is a person who wants to live up to her potential be a good mother stay sober and be in control of her own life. She attends Alcoholics Anonymous AA meetings. She also attends the First Steps of Sarasota in their Choices program she goes to therapy and reflects that which she learns in her diary as she tries to understand her pain. Some excerpts from “Volume One” illustrate the tone of her entries: “…I went to a gay dance in Venice with Sharon tonight and I cried all the way home. Am I grieving over old loss or making change or being afraid…I think that I’m afraid of being alone…unloved…insignificant. I guess I’ve always felt that way. Why so much more now I feel so much more peaceful so why do I still feel this incredible emptiness inside…I have always sought attention through my behaviours…it’s been physical – hurting myself getting sick and now it’s through food deprivation and through spending money…maybe I’m sad because I’m afraid that even if I change all the behaviours the emptiness will never go away…” April 25 1997. “…I went to a gay AA meeting after group tonight which would have been good but I cried all the way through it. I’m not sure why I’m doing that these days…I need to be thankful more often…I could start with my son.and the family…” April 14 1997. “…I did have a huge fight with Dad. He wants $400 a month he told me he should be paid first that I was ruining his credit and that I had lied to him. I was really angry…I felt good that I did stand up for myself I went running after argument and that helped…I went to my Choices meeting…First Step. I love that meeting. I always come away feeling so good. 2 women asked me to sponsor them…I feel good about my sobriety” April 17 1997. Despite her constant writing about wanting to overcome her demons and feel comfortable in her own skin our author’s optimism of that first entry is repeatedly challenged. Some excerpts: “…I spent more time alone this weekend and I was okay with that - really enjoyed going to Barnes & Noble and looking @ the Lesbian books. Went to church alone Church of Religious Science…. Told multiple friends I'm a lesbian. The women were very accepting John didn’t say anything…” March 3 1997. “Right now I feel extremely anxious because of our living situation - I do not feel safe because our landlord has asked us to leave and we have not left. Tomorrow is my interview about a healthcare institution job - I really want this job. I feel as though things are beginning to turn…around…Thank you Lord for one more day and thank you for helping me to let go of my anger about the family” March 11 1997. “Thank you for this day God…my son and I had one of our more and more frequent fights. I did not handle myself well at all…I got very angry and.slapped him…have to learn…to step. Back and not be afraid of making and keeping rules. I felt so horrible” April 10 1997. “.I had a terrible day I got reprimanded at work for 3 medication errors… I feel as though I’m not climbing out of this hole fast enough. I was furious with my son when I got home and found that he had not come home…” April 15 1997 “…I…applied for a new job…It’s ‘lingerie modeling’ which I think now is sort of ‘clean prostitution’. I want to make a lot of money and that’s all! .I want this job so I can pay off all my bills…send my son to camp get the Volvo fixed…” April 21 1997“…today I was ‘terminated’ from healthcare institution for not correcting medication errors…. I wasn’t careful enough…I don’t feel scared just sad and pretty worthless as though everything I’ve thought about myself…is true” April 23 1997The first diary ends on a relatively hopeful note. “…I’ve been afraid to write because I’m clearly at the end of the book and…I’ve been incredibly depressed. I feel a little better – I think the Prozac is working…With the exception of the loneliness and the bulimia I’m doing better…I want to start going back to meetings…I think going to that gay dance scared me…I think it’s connected to my not going to meetings – that fear of intimacy thing…” June 6 1997. When we meet our author again in her second diary begun September 1 1999 her struggles are the same but her child is older and in trouble with the law financial strain becomes a more prominent and frequent concern she’s unable to hold down a job housing is insecure and while she discusses her sexuality less frequently in Diary #2 it remains an undercurrent. Initially she is staying sober with the help of her sponsor about whom she writes almost obsessively until October 5th when she begins drinking again. Some excerpts give the sense of her lived experience as the millennium looms: “We have just returned from the police station where my son was arrested on 3 felony counts and 3 misdemeanors and there are at least $6000 worth of charges. It was absolutely horrible. My sponsor and her husband came with us Thank God! .I’m thrilled that at least the arrest part is over…” Sept 1 1999. “…I went to healthcare facility for my orientation and now I’m ready to work. I’m grateful to God for opportunities” Sept 9. “…I cancelled two orientations today and my shame feels really big…” Sept 13“…I went to see a therapist this morning. I liked her. I was pretty honest with her except about my sexuality…I told her that I was recovering for my anorexia and bulimia – I’m not really…my son and I will go together next week…” Sept 18. “…Tomorrow we have an appointment at the Department of Juvenile Justice – it scares me to death…My son is a criminal…some of my goals: Plant a garden make my house pretty…go back to school get my master’s write a book find a lover” Sept 30. “…I went back out as they say in the program. I started at now closed down mental health hospital today. I’m quite excited about it…the benefits are by far the best I’ve ever had. I feel okay. My alcoholism has reared its ugly head” Oct 5. “I think much of my self hatred and feeling of worthlessness is tied up with my older brother…Why doesn’t it just heal After all I’m 42 now Why does it hurt so much ” Oct 16. “.The landlord is threatening to evict us if I don’t pay by tomorrow. The water has been shut off for a week now and I’m supposed to pay my son’s lawyer $1000 tomorrow. I have 3 cigarettes and not enough gas to get to work tomorrow…Thank you God! I got gas and my son gave me half a pack of cigarettes. While that itself makes me feel awful desperation is desperation! ” Nov 4. The next day her landlord has begun the eviction process and on November 19 she moves in to her parents’ house with her son and states she is “grateful to be sober”. After a long and disappointing house hunt and – judging by the nature of her writing - intermittent sobriety she and her son move to Arcadia Florida on December 31 1999 and she writes: “…The millennium did not end well with the family as Dad was drunk and very belligerent with my son. I did not say a word while Dad was yelling at my son…at some point I want to talk to my father about his drinking…I am thrilled to be sober! .”. “…I’m so disgusted with myself. A week ago today I got $1000 now it’s all gone! When will I ever change. I feel stupid worthless useless” Jan 17 2000. “.we went to Sarasota. I went to Rose Group which was about the First Step – for the second night in a row. I picked up my blue chip for 90 days. It was a great meeting…” Jan 25. “…We talked about the topic at the Rose Group being sex and Valentine’s Day and how I couldn’t change it because I didn’t want that woman’s feelings – her feelings mattered while mine didn’t…I need to matter! ” Feb 19. “…For me money is a lot like alcohol – I am obsessed with it. I think about it constantly. When I have it I am happy when I don’t I am miserable…” March 26. Her final entry is on March 30 2000. An excerpt: “Lord please help me to feel better about myself. Please help me to remember that I am loved. Please help me to pay the bills” March 30. While we do know through historical records that our author was eventually married to a woman who was a proud member of the sober living community and lived into her early 60s we also know things likely didn't get much easier. Her son would sadly die less than six months after she made her final diary entry and her financial issues remained for many years. Taken together these diaries offer an unvarnished view of midlife lesbian identity formation at the edge of the twentieth century—where spirituality motherhood and addiction recovery intersect. They are especially valuable for their articulation of lesbian self-definition outside urban or academic milieus documenting the therapeutic and communal spaces AA meetings religious-based groups women’s recovery programs through which one woman sought meaning dignity and love. Together the volumes stand as a rare primary-source record of working-class lesbian experience sobriety culture and maternal resilience in the years preceding the new millennium. BIO NOTES ANONYMIZED : The female author of these diaries was born in the mid-1950s. The daughter of a New Jersey businessman and a mother who was on her second marriage she grew up in an upper-middle-class household with two older half-siblings from her mother’s first marriage and one older brother. She was raised in New Jersey before her parents’ relocation to Florida in the mid-1970s which occurred while she was away at college. She graduated from a respected northeastern university in the late 19070s. She was clearly a highly respected and busy member of the student body being President of the Student Alumni Association and a member of a society known as AMW —the university’s highest non-academic honorary society offering invitations to female students of “exemplary character excellence in service to the University and community…honor dignity willingness to accept responsibility responsible leadership and potential for continued contributions to the University. ”She gave birth to a son in the late 1980s while still living in Maine. He died tragically at age 13 shortly after her second diary concludes in a loss that shadows her later writings. Professionally she appears to have worked in nursing and lived most of her adult life in Florida later settling in the northeastern United States. She identified herself as lesbian in early 1997 and ultimately married a woman active in the sober-living community who served as a sponsor to others in recovery. The author died in the late 2010s.; Manuscripts; 9 X 7 in.; KEYWORDS: HISTORY OF EATING DISORDERS WOMEN'S STUDIES LESBIAN STUDIES COMING OUT BULIMIA AA ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS FLORIDA UNIVERSITY OF MAINE ALUMNI GENDER STUDIES LGBT AMERICANA HANDWRITTEN MANUSCRIPT DOCUMENT LETTER AUTOGRAPH DIARY JOURNAL LOG KEEPSAKE WRITER HAND WRITTEN DOCUMENTS SIGNED LETTERS MANUSCRIPTS HISTORICAL HOLOGRAPH WRITERS DIARIES JOURNALS LOGS AUTOGRAPHS PERSONAL MEMOIR MEMORIAL PERSONAL HISTORYantiquité contrat vélin document manuscrit papier Antike Brief Pergament Dokument Manuskript Papier oggetto d'antiquariato atto velina documento manoscritto carta antigüedad hecho vitela documento manuscrito papel.; Signed by Author . hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0001574

‎BOYNTON, MILO S‎

‎1855 Diary of a 21-Year-Old Student At Fairfield Academy Herkimer County New York: a Profound Spiritual Self-Examination Suggestive of Repressed Desire and Inner Conflict‎

‎Rodman New York Fairfield Herkimer County. Good with no dust jacket. 1855. Hardcover. On offer is the diary of a 21-year-old Rodman New York man who chronicles his tortured semester living and studying on campus at Fairfield Academy in Herkimer County before returning home and ultimately boarding a fishing vessel for the summer—his entries filled with self-hatred longing and a consuming desire to fulfill the expectations of his family faith and society. Our author Milo S. Boynton 1833–1857 was the son of prominent Rodman settlers Jonathan and Maria Kinney Boynton. Living and working on the Boynton farm he was sent to study at Fairfield Academy then often styled Fairfield Collegiate Institute at the age of twenty-one. Through his diary Milo reveals a life of unrelenting spiritual struggle. He writes daily of temptation failure and renewed vows to “live wholly to the Lord. ” Although he never explicitly names the nature of his sins his language of crisis “the Enemy of my soul ” “a hell upon Earth ” and “deliver me from this hellish influence” points to a profound internal conflict that to modern readers suggests the torment of forbidden desire. A previous researcher has proposed that Boynton may have been struggling with his sexuality; while this cannot be confirmed the intensity of his guilt and the recurring theme of unnameable temptation render such a reading plausible. Read within the moral vocabulary of antebellum Protestantism the diary becomes both a religious testimony and a coded account of longing self-repression and shame. As many do Boynton begins the new year and semester with goals and hope: “I find myself in Fairfield Collegiate Institute pondering over the Sciences of Mental Philosophy and Geometry and Grammar. The day has been a very fine one. I have made the Resolution to live this year wholly to the Lord. Although this day seems to be a bad beginning. I am determined to impose my time better in future. Studying has not gone first rate with me. The Evening has been dull. I have had some thoughts of Home” Jan. 1 1855. By the very next day we glimpse a man already judging himself harshly and fighting unseen impulses: “.My studise sic went rather hard my mind was penetrating but not interested. The Enemy has had more control over me than I should have allowed still strongly determined to keep my resolution. Attended my private division in Declination and Composition…Went to bed feeling not the best” Jan. 2 1855. “.I saw that there was a crisis at hand. For the Enemy of my soul had wrestled hard with me and had for some time had the advantage but thank the Lord that through his mercy I was enabled to cast my care upon him. I was enabled to see where the Enemy had laid his snare…. ” Jan. 3 1855. “I felt very free in our Prayer meeting this afternoon; but for all of this I am not what I ought to be I do not love God as I should do not feel thankful as I should. At the meeting this evening I fear I was desirous to Please man more than God. O may the Lord deliver me from this evil heart. I know the way but it seems that I have become indifferent to God that he can not give me his glorious seal of Love. Here is a crisis I cannot get along with my studies without I have peace of mind and I have lost my zeal for the study O I must exorcise Faith in Christ Here Lord I give myself away it is all that I can do…” Feb. 18 1855Boynton’s anguish alternates with the everyday rhythms of seminary life—lectures prayer meetings illness among students and conversations with classmates and ministers. “I rose at ten minutes before four o clock. I got my lesson in Geometry without trouble spent the time as usual until seven oclock then walked out with Chum had a pleasant walk…called on Mr. Chamberlain who is sick with the Fever his case is not very promising. There are about twenty cases of sickness in the Academy…” Jan. 3 1855. “Was awakened this morning Br. Cheeseman who came to prayer meeting it was not Late however…This forenoon Br. Vandercook preached…1st referred to the Children of Israel. Spoke of them wandering from God…. Spoke of sins separating men from God instance Adam. Man from his fellow man…” Feb. 11 1855. “.Quite a talk with Br. Yeomans and Cheeseman on the subject of holiness. And in particular reference to myself…I was not at that moment saved from all Sin. Told them some of my experience. Had quite a talk with Pr. Ferry on the same subject…” Mar. 12 1855. The diary offers a vivid glimpse into Fairfield Academy’s student life and moral climate: rising before dawn strict rules public prayer and constant peer surveillance. “.Tomorrow will seal my destiny in Geometry I suppose. I feel that I am too indifferent to the Lord for his great mercy. ” Mar. 15 1855. “.My chum has decided to go home so I am to be left alone once more. Received Letter from Harrison to night have been writing one to Harriet. The evening has passed…my Lesson this day in moral science was upon Prayer Geometry Com Book 6th Latin…” Feb. 23 1855. “I did not wake up this morning until 20 minutes to 7…I shall have to take a black mark. I have had a clear head so that my recitations have not been so bad…Br. Spencer called at noon to get the chance of Chumming with me…. One of the rooms of the North Building caught fire this morning did not do much damage…” Feb. 26 1855. As spring approaches Milo wrestles with whether to stay or return home. His indecision and dependence on male mentors for moral counsel—suggests both spiritual and emotional dependency. “.Received a letter from Melvin requesting me to come home .Talked with Br. Van Patten and Br. Van-k and prayed…feel it of importance to write more ideas which I hear…Presby-Church as a preparation for our work…what a smart converted young Lady can do…” Mar. 16. “.wrote a letter to Melvin stating my intentions to stay in this place an other Term. Consulted Br. Stebbins upon the subject advised me not to stay…spent an hour writing Compo. Called to Mr. Rayners…. At our Prayer Meeting this afternoon had a severe conflict with the adversary…I must spend more time meditating upon my future…” Mar. 17. Ultimately he departs Fairfield in April 1855. His farewell to classmates is full of affection restraint and moral anxiety—tones familiar to scholars of 19th-century male friendship and its often-unspoken undercurrents of love. “.Spent most of the afternoon in arranging my room and Packing my trunk…Have had some social converse with Br. Van-K and Br. Yeomans…The Principal was rather imprudent. Heard some very entertaining Declinations. The best Speakers were…Ingerson Stebbins Johnson and Niskem. Br. Johnson staid with me overnight” Apr. 3 1855. “.my preparations were soon made for my departure I could not feel that I was leaving so many friends never to see them again on the Shores of Time…I left Fairfield…in an open sleigh in company with Mrs. E. Blackstone M. Turner…Mas Williams and Br. Yeomans and Mr. Plant. We went to Little Falls…At Addams I bid Br. Yeomans farewell may the good Lord ever be with him…” Apr. 4. Returning home he quickly plans to ship aboard the John Simmons fishing vessel: “Made a call to Mr. O’Tassetts before breakfast was again permitted to bow around the family. After it seemed much different from before I left it. Made a call to Uncle Abner H and also to Mr. J. Fassetts was advised to take a trip on the Ocean” Apr. 6. “.wrote letter to Br. Vandercook informing him of my intentions to take a trip upon the watter…Went over to Charles Boyntons to get information concerning father’s cousin in Boston…” Apr. 9. “This day I shipped aboard of the John Simmons. Spent the day…helping fit up the ship. I wrote a letter to Br Vandercook and sent one to my Father. I weigh 126 pounds. I thank God for the peace of mind which I enjoy…Where shall I be in 5 months. O Lord bless me for Christ sake. Amen” May 3. On his final night ashore Milo again voices the guilt of pleasure couched in the language of sin and deliverance: “.I have bid farewell to Name for the next 4.5 months at last. Shall I ever forget this night. O what will poor human nature stoop to a hell upon Earth. O Lord grant to deliver me from this hellish influence. Oh that I loved the Lord none. I commit myself into his hands. I will strive to live more faithful by his grace…” May 7. He sails from Provincetown on May 11. His later entries fewer and more pragmatic still echo the same duality of discipline and despair: “.Another week has passed of my existence with all of its hardships. I have laid aside fishing for the purpose of giving my hands time to get well. The whole number of fish we have taken is 7337. I have caught 385. My health looks very prosperous but how little thankfulness is drawn out of my heart for it how unfaithful am I” June 3. Returning from the expedition in October 1855 it is clear that Milo S. Boynton has not run away from his problems but is the same man he was when he departed: “Land ho! Which proved to be a fact I had anticipated it so much that it did not meet my expectations”. His last entry of May 18 1856 written after rereading his own diary closes with resolve and melancholy: “.by the grace of God I hope to spend no more time in lamenting past sins…But I feel to resolve in the strength of God through Christ that…I will strive to do the present duty and trust the rest with the Lord. O Lord forbid I wander as…in a year to come if my life is spared as I have in the past year…keep me in the way for thy sons sake. Amen! ”Milo Boynton died less than a year later on March 28 1857 at only twenty-three. His diary stands as both a spiritual testimony and an interior portrait of a young man caught between devotion self-doubt and a yearning he could not name. To a modern reader it invites sensitive reflection on how mid-19th-century moral and gender codes shaped the ways inner life could or could not be spoken. Condition: Overall Good. Significant chipping to the leather spine some loosening of the string binding and an old watermark along the edges but the writing is very legible and the book is well-preserved. BIO NOTES: Fairfield Academy and Seminary: Founded in 1802 and incorporated in 1803 Fairfield Academy in Herkimer County New York evolved from a classical preparatory school into a co-educational seminary reflecting broader 19th-century educational reform. In 1839 its trustees reorganized it as the Fairfield Seminary legally comprising both a Classical Academy and a Female Collegiate Institute—language marking its broadened curriculum and inclusion of women Syracuse University Libraries n. D. . By the mid-1850s “Fairfield Collegiate Institute” signified the same institution under its reformed charter emphasizing co-education and professional teacher training aligned with antebellum reform movements Herbst 1989. Milo S. Boynton Oct. 28 1833 – Mar. 28 1857 was one of approximately nine children born to Jonathan Boynton 1795–1883 and Maria Kinney Boynton 1800–1841 among Rodman’s earliest Methodist Episcopal settlers. In 1829 Jonathan Boynton was elected trustee of the first Methodist Episcopal Church in Rodman. Milo’s siblings included Lester Harriet Harrison Elonzo Martha Emma Jeanette and Austin.; Manuscript; 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall; KEYWORDS: HISTORY OF BRIDGEPORT CONNECTICUT FISHERMAN FISHERMEN HOMOSEXUALITY HOMOSEXUAL LGBT GAY INTEREST MILO S. BOYNTON RODMAN NEW YORK WATERTOWN FORT DRUM LAKE ONTARIO UPSTATE NEW YORK GENDER STUDIES GAY STUDIES PRE CIVIL WAR ABOLITION ANTI SLAVERY AMERICANA CHRISTIANITY PRAYER CHRISTIAN EDUCATION HANDWRITTEN MANUSCRIPT DOCUMENT LETTER AUTOGRAPH KEEPSAKE WRITER HAND WRITTEN DOCUMENTS SIGNED LETTERS MANUSCRIPTS HISTORICAL HOLOGRAPH WRITERS AUTOGRAPHS PERSONAL MEMOIR MEMORIAL PERSONAL HISTORY ARCHIVE DIARY DIARIES ANTIQUITÉ CONTRAT VÉLIN MANUSCRIT PAPIER ANTIKE BRIEF PERGAMENT DOKUMENT antiquité contrat vélin document manuscrit papier Antike Brief Pergament Dokument Manuskript Papier oggetto d'antiquariato atto velina documento manoscritto carta antigüedad hecho vitela documento manuscrito papel.; Signed by Author . hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 0001619

‎Madison, James (President)‎

‎Message from the President of the United States Transmitting a Copy of a Letter from Minister of the United States at London to the Secretary of State and another from the Same to the British Secretary for Foreign Affairs. January 14 1811‎

‎Washington D.C.: United States Congress. Good with no dust jacket. 1811. First Edition Thus. First Printing. Soft Cover. Printed by R. C. Weightman at Washington City. Eight octavo pages. A message from President James Madison to the Senate and House of Representatives enclosing a letter from the minister plenipotentiary of the United States at London to the secretary of state and another from the same to the British secretary for foreign affairs. . Four loose sheets eight pages chipped. GOOD. . 8vo 8" - 9" tall. 8 pp . United States Congress paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 18283

Biblio.com

Round Table Books, LLC
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Round Table Books, LLC]

€ 67.69 購入

‎Morris, William (1834-1896)‎

‎Hopes and Fears for Art‎

‎London: Ellis & White 1882. First Edition. Hardcover. Very Good. 8vo: . <strong>First Edition. </strong>Printed by Strangeways & Sons. Bound in original blue-green buckram with paper label to spine. ii 217 i pp plus advertisements . A rare early collection of five of William Morris's lectures. Light shelf wear to boards. Spine label a worn with minimal chipping. Shop label to inner board. Ownership mark to ffep. Light foxing/edge wear to pages with light spotting in places. Otherwise a very nice copy of this very rare first edition book. Condition overall: Very Good. Ellis & White hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 1349

Biblio.com

MRM Books
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: MRM Books]

€ 296.13 購入

‎Boardman, Phillip C; And Charles E Wyatt (eds)‎

‎FORGOTTEN ARTHURIAN POETRY‎

‎Vista CA: Green Chapel Press. As New with No dust jacket as issued. 1989. Limited Edition. First Printing. Soft Cover. Limited Edition No. 141 of only 250 copies. Signed by Editor Charles E. Wyatt on title page. Publisher's stiff card wraps. Illustrated with drawings by Kathleen A. Boardman. This is a new unopened unmarked copy in perfect pristine condition. AS NEW. Drawings. 8vo 8" - 9" tall. 70 pp. Signed by Editor . Green Chapel Press paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 5686

Biblio.com

Round Table Books, LLC
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Round Table Books, LLC]

€ 42.31 購入

‎Sperandeo, Andy‎

‎Model Railroader: Volume 61 Number 11‎

‎1994. Soft Cover. Good. Publisher: Kalmbach Publishing Company November 1994 Good Soft Cover 194 pp. Rio Grande O scale excitement in standard and narrow gauge. Frary renews old scenery on the N scale Clinchfield RR modeling air brake operations Drawings of a two-story brick depot. paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 008682

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 44.42 購入

‎Southwell, Sheila‎

‎Start Painting Pottery & Bisque‎

‎1998. Hardcover. Very Good. Publisher: Chartwell Book Inc. 1998 V.Good HB ISBN: 0-7858-0941-4 hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 012678 ISBN : 0785809414 9780785809418

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 46.96 購入

‎Sperandeo, Andy‎

‎Model Railroader: Volume 61 Number 4‎

‎1994. Soft Cover. Good. PublisherL Kalmbach Publishing Company April 1994 Good Soft Cover 178 pp. How to model Miss Katy's Big SDs Build the true-action walkaround throttle. Drawings of the GE P30CH "Pooch" diesel. The Chili Line: A narrow gauge railroad you can model. paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 008681 ISBN : 0000267341 9780000267344

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 44.42 購入

‎Sinkankas, John‎

‎Gemstone & Mineral Data Book: A Compilation of Data Recipes Formulas and Instructions for the Mineralogist Gemologist Lapidary Jeweler Craftsman and Collector‎

‎1972. Hardcover. Good. Publisher: Winchester Press 1972 Good HB ISBN: 0-87691-067-3 Gemstone & Mineral Data Book. hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 012709 ISBN : 0876910673 9780876910672

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 242.38 購入

‎Jackson, Paul‎

‎Championship Paper Planes‎

‎2004. Hardcover. Very Good. Publisher: Barnes & Noble Books 2004 V.Good OVERSIZED HB ISBN: 0-7607-5419-5 hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 010646 ISBN : 0760754195 9780760754191

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 57.11 購入

‎Harty, William T‎

‎Science for Camp and Counselor‎

‎1964. Hardcover. Good. Publisher: Associated Press 1964 Good HB 320 pp. 117 Projects for the Outdoors. hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 008633

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 64.73 購入

‎Sperandeo, Andy‎

‎Model Railroader: Volume 61 Number 7‎

‎1994. Soft Cover. Good. Publisher: Kalmbach Publishing Company July 1994 Good Soft Cover 178 pp. Steam still rules the HO scale Allegheny Union RR O & N scale layouts Scratchbuild a bridge Detail an HO switcher. Cement plants - industries you can model. paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 008683

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 44.42 購入

‎Richard Hovey -‎

‎The Plays of Maurice Maeterlinck -‎

‎1906. Hardcover. Good. Gd. condition - Includes: Princess Maleine; The Intruder; The Blind; The Seven Princesses . TN5100ml hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 100ml

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 91.25 購入

‎Albert, Donna‎

‎No-Sew Special Effects: Quilts - Crafts - Clothing - Home Decor‎

‎1996. Soft Cover. Very Good. Publisher: Chilton Book Company 1996 V.Good. Soft Cover ISBN: 0-8019-8718-0 paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 007353 ISBN : 0801987180 9780801987182

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 44.42 購入

‎Taylor, Herb‎

‎The Complete Minolta SLR Camera and Accessory Guide‎

‎1985. Soft Cover. Good. Publisher: Avalon Communications Inc. 1985 Good Soft Cover ISBN: 0-88041-001-9 cover wear around edges. paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 007237 ISBN : 0880410019 9780880410014

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 52.04 購入

‎Neely, John E; Meyer, Roland O‎

‎Machine Tool Practices‎

‎1991. Hardcover. Good. Publisher: Regents/Prentice Hall 1991 Good HB ISBN: 0-13-541848-8 hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 005180 ISBN : 0135418488 9780135418482

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 50.77 購入

‎Wrights, A‎

‎Soft Crafts for Special‎

‎1983. Hardcover. Good. Publisher: Dorison House Publishers Inc. 1983 Good HB ISBN: 019752-51-8. hardcover‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 006671

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 63.46 購入

‎Everhart, Jim‎

‎Illustrated Texas Dictionary of the English Language 5‎

‎1979. Soft Cover. Good. Publisher: Cliff notes Inc. 1979 Good Soft Cover ISBN: 0-8220-1487-4 cover wear/rubbed prev. owner inscribed inside front cover. paperback‎

書籍販売業者の参照番号 : 003340 ISBN : 0822014874 9780822014874

Biblio.com

Infospec
United States Estados Unidos Estados Unidos États-Unis
[この書籍販売業者の本を検索: Infospec]

€ 44.47 購入

検索結果数 : 48,404 (969 ページ)

最初のページ 前ページ 1 ... 821 822 823 [824] 825 826 827 ... 847 867 887 907 927 947 967 ... 969 次ページ 最後のページ